How to install Windows 7 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by James Rome, Oct 23, 2009.

1. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

I have the Windows 7 RC in a VM, and have lots of XP versions, so I got the Windows 7 Pro upgrade. I want to install the 64-bit version of W7.
    Has anyone tried to make a VM using the upgrade disk? Does it work? Any hints?

2. gorron

gorron Junior Member

I agree. I've been using RC 7 and took off XP and Vista a while ago. Is it possible to do an upgrade?

It seems I have to reinstall XP or Vista but can I upgrade from within Parallels?

Can't believe MS doesn't give you the option of inserting a DVD to prove prior ownership

3. gorron

gorron Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

4. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

So, the first time, in a new VM leave the key blank. Then when it is installed, insert the DVD, and select Upgrade. After several hours, it will reinstall, and accept the upgrade key.

5. Annapolis sailor

Annapolis sailor Bit poster

Appreciate if anyone could you be a little more specific and detaied on the steps after making the first Window 7 VM. Do you rerun the Windows 7 upgrade disk while the first instance of the Windows 7 VM is running, or do repeat the steps to make a new VM. If the latter is the case do you make a second VM instance, or overwrite the image file of the first VM? Am surprised (or on second though probably not) that Parallels Tech Support has not been more proactive in providing assistance in the forum on this subject.

6. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Yes. The deal is that you do not have to boot off the DVD to install or upggrade. So you put in the DVD while the new Windows7 VM is running, and do the autorun, and pick upgrade.

7. David Pentuin

David Pentuin Bit poster

This didn't work for me. When I enter the product key after upgrading I just get a long "hang" and it never continues. Do you mean you actually have to leave the key activation screen on for several hours?