Problem converting a VMWare Ubuntu 9.10 disk to Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by merrilea, Nov 9, 2009.

1. merrilea

merrilea Bit poster

Hi All,
    When I try to convert an existing Ubuntu 9.1virtual appliance created and working with VMware 2.06 to Parallels 5 I get an error message. "No active volume is selected or no operating system is installed on the specified volumes. The selected volumes will be migrated to Parallels virtual data disks. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Any solutions, help appreciated.

Thanks
    merrilea

2. GonzaloF

GonzaloF Bit poster

The same issue in here but using VirtualBox.

3. STim

STim Bit poster

Unfortunately this is a known issue. Ubuntu 9.10 uses ext4 filesystem by default, it it is not yet correctly recognized by Parallels Transporter which is used for converting.

We are working on providing support for ext4, but I am not yet ready to share any dates.

4. rwm

rwm Bit poster

Same problem with Virtualbox Ubuntu 9.04 disk

I get the message "No active volume is selected or no operating system is installed on the specified volumes. The selected volumes will be migrated to Parallels virtual data disks. Are you sure you want to continue?"

This is an Ubuntu 9.04 disk under Virtualbox 3.08. When I run gparted on it under Virtualbox is shows as an ext3 partition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

5. James Sperry

James Sperry Bit poster

Same Problem converting a VMWare Windows XP disk to Parallels 5

I'm having the same error message as mentioned above:
    No active volume is selected or no operating system is installed on the specified volumes. The selected volumes will be migrated to Parallels virtual data disks. Are you sure you want to continue?

when I try to migrate either an Ubuntu 9.10 VMWare disk or a Windows XP VMWare disk. Is this also a known issue for Windows?

Thanks,
    James

6. rwm

rwm Bit poster

I did manage to get this working, but I'm not sure it's the correct method. The virtualbox vm file copied from the PC had the vm pointing to a harddisk path that was incorrect for the mac (obviously). I installed virtualbox on the mac and got the vm/harddisk working with vb on the mac and then parallels had no problem converting it to it's format.

I think that parallels, when it encounters bad hd path(s) during the vm conversion, should ask you to point to find it. I think it could then migrate properly.

Good luck. It can be done. Any hopefully they add this stuff to their migration software.

7. guinhjytm

guinhjytm Bit poster

8. EricO

EricO Junior Member

Delete user guinhjytm and their post

Post of 5.45 is just a link to some spammy website

9. mampito

mampito Bit poster

Tim and all,

is there a workaround solution.
    Let's say, I have a VMware Ubuntu 9.10 VM that I want to convert.
    I convert it to disk volumes only that cannot be booted, but read (at least).

Then I could create a new, fresh Ubuntu 9.10 Install in a Parallels VM.

Is there any way to take the next step to get most of the VMware VM into the fresh Parallels VM?

Would be very greatful for tips, as Parallels support was no help at all. (it took them nearly two weeks to get to the same point as me)

Thanks for any hints
    Martin

10. Joël-AlexisB

Joël-AlexisB Bit poster

Same problem here. Since November 2009 ? They don't have enough Ubuntu 9.10 users switching from VMWare to want to work on it is my guess. I'll add it to wikipedia's article on Parallels under "known limitations" and follow it so it stays on it until it's fixed. Maybe that will make them react.