Mac Look won't go away

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by benmadin, Dec 16, 2009.

1. benmadin

benmadin Bit poster

G'day all,

I turned on Mac Look in the Configure options for my virtual machine, but don't like it, and turned it off.

But it won't go away... Am I stuck with it forever, or is this a bug.

I have tried :

turning it on and off again.
    Turning it off, quitting and restarting parallels, checking it is still off and then starting the vm
    changing the desktop settings from within windows.

I occasionally get an error message when changing the windows display properties (the Windows and buttons Appearance option from Windows Classic style to Windows XP style)
    [​IMG]
    'Applying Visual Styles Error - The visual styles could not be applied. Access is denied' (In case the picture didn't work)

cheers

Ben

Attached Files:

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hello benmadin,
    2 suggestions:
    a. try to switch theme in Windows XP
    b. try to reinstall Parallels Tools (remove from Add/Remove programs, restart Windows, Virtual Machine menu > Install Parallels Tools)

3. benmadin

benmadin Bit poster

Thanks - a) didn't work for me (I haven't tried b).

What did work was switching the View to Window, and then one of the menus had a Use MacLook option.

[​IMG]

It wasn't ticked, but when I turned it on the computer groaned for a few seconds and looked exactly the same. Then when I turned it off it changed the theme through Windows 98 to the standard Windows XP interface look.

Subsequent switching back into Coherence / Crystal modes seems to have preserved this outcome, including after a shutdown of parallels and restart.

cheers

Ben

Attached Files:

4. Nam-unc

Nam-unc Bit poster

5. SydB

SydB Bit poster

4+ years later and your solution, Ben, still works for someone who just encountered this problem after updating to Windows 7 (from XP) and Parallels 9 (from 6).