Boot Camp 2.1 Vista Activation Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kevinvh@mac.com, Apr 29, 2008.

1. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

Can't activate Vista after installing Boot Camp 2.1 using Apple Software Update from Boot Camp/Vista SP1. Message saying unauthorised software and asking me to reinstall Vista. Similar problem when starting VM - can't get to Vista desktop because of activation problem.

Anyone know how to get around this issue without reinstalling Vista?

Come on Parallels Team - it is about time that we had a solution to the re-activation issues that occur when switching between Boot Camp and Parallels. This latest problem is causing me to rethink my loyalty to Parallels.

2. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

After restarting the Vista VM by clicking onto the red shutdown icon roll bar at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, this time Vista asked for my Product Key. After entering the product key, Vista was reactivated.

Don't know if I still have an activation problem in native Boot Camp - not game to try.

Sorry for doubting my loyalty to Parallels. However, a lot of the angst could be avoided if Parallels set up a proper fault finding procedure for XP and Vista.

My comments about resolving the activation issues when switching between Boot Camp and Parallels still apply - a prompt solution is required.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

There have been a couple of LONG strings about this very issue, and unfortunately virtually no response from Parallels. My guess is their hands are tied about this issue until OS 10.5.3 is released in the next few weeks.

4. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

Bit of a shame as I have found the Parallels Team to be very responsive during beta testing of updates, but quite unresponsive to forum threads.

One can only hope that things will improve as I do not want to run Vista or XP natively in Boot Camp.

5. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

You will note that there has been no mention of an impending update, which worries me.

6. kevinvh@mac.com

kevinvh@mac.com Member

Yeh - see if 10.5.3 breaks the VM again. May force an update after more angst for us users.

7. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Looking around on the Internet tonight, I saw a post which states that Parallels is no longer supporting, and is not going to fix version 3.0 and instead are totally focusing on version 4.0 Great...