PW opens new safari instances. Can cause problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eduo, Apr 9, 2006.

1. eduo

eduo Bit poster

There is a nasty problem with uising the help in Parallels Workstation. For some reason the application, instead of either using the "open" routines for HTML files fires up a new Safari application instance.

This is annoying in most cases but when using third-party Safari plug-ins it can lead to very NASTY consequences. In my case I have quite a few plug-ins and I'm trying to isolate the actual combination but I suspect Saft.

What happened is that when I opened the help page through the PW menu item a new Safar instance and Saft told me it thought Safari had crashed, but in reality was running already. I copied the URL and closed that safari instance to go to the one I had already opened. Later yesterday I closed Safari and when I tried to open it again it wouldn't open. After some basic investigation I noticed Safari was an empty .app folder. No contents in the application at all. I had to recover from a backup to have a functional Safari going again, as it can't be easily downloaded or re-updated.

Parallels should either have a webkit minibrowser in PW or use the normal "open URL" function of MacOSX to use the default browser (the same that the "open" command in the terminal does)

2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I vote for the default browser - I use firefox (well, deerpark on the Mac) and would like that to open instead of Safari!
    D

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

This issues was fixed in Beta3.