import VPC disk image ?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by MacVador, Apr 6, 2006.

1. MacVador

MacVador Bit poster

Hi,

is there a way to "import" or use VPC disk image with Parallels Workstation? Very interested in the product but I don't want to loose too much time to "recreate" my virtual PC system + applications...

2. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

I want to add to this request the ability to import VMWare virtual machines. I have a Windows XP VMWare VM that I've spent quite a bit of time configurating and I would like to be able to import it and use it with Parallels running on OS X.

3. matt.hocker

matt.hocker Junior Member

Add me to this wish list too

Part of the nice thing about migrating from OS X on PPC to OS X on Intel is being able to get rid of Virtual PC. Now if I could bring over the VPC7 disk image file from MS VPC on Mac, you'd have a sale.

Also, being able to bring over a Virtual Server file would basically eliminate the need to run all these different virtualization programs.

Here's hoping...

4. Neuron

Neuron Member

You could use something like Acronis TrueImage to create an image from a running guest in VMware or VPC that could then be restored to a Parallels guest.

5. scrollinondubs

scrollinondubs Bit poster

Acronis doesn't work

I was running Acronis True Image for my backup on my PC laptop and recently switched to OS X and Parallels. I tried restoring the Acronis image to a new parallels instance and it fails throwing some error about "unable to see boot device." I suppose this makes sense as it's different hardware and Acronis is doing a bit-for-bit restoration of the harddrive.

I would be very interested if anyone comes up with a solution for migrating a VPC image into Parallels.

sean

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

Other people have made this work with Acronis, and they have posted about it on these forums.