XP install fails

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cortical, Jan 6, 2007.

1. cortical

cortical Bit poster

Hi

I installed 3106 Parallels , and XP Home, all good. Installed FileMaker 8 Advanced to create FM runtimes; the first execution was working fine until it ran out of space allocation. Parallels and windoze worked well, and quite slick I thought.

I deleted the XP VM, and reinstalled XP. The new XP install hung at the 'installing devices' stage. Tried this again, and also again... using a different XP Pro disc. Uninstalled Parallels, using the uninstaller and manually, repaired permissions, ran maintenance scripts an emptied all user caches (using Onyx), restarted, reinsatalled Parallels each time...

Have tried this at least 6 times now in various combos' but both Home and Pro installs hang at the 'installing devices' stage; i.e. initial windows blue screen windows setup, auto reboot (VM) windows, to windows XP installer...

iMac24 2GB 10.4.8,, Parallels beta 3106

Any suggestions?

regards

Chris

2. cortical

cortical Bit poster

Update to this:
    it may be a memory management issue. Monitoring Activity Monitor, the Windows Setup is utilising both CPU, once the Windows XP instal begins (after the post setup reboot), only one cpu is being used at c. 105%

Version 2 Parallels installs ok (under a new clean user account)

Chris

3. chrs

chrs Bit poster

I hit this too

I just started installing a copy of WinXP+SP2 and hit the same problem. It just stopped at the "installing devices" stage with "33 minutes left". I just stopped and restarted the VM and the installation continued.... Not finished yet though...

Chris

4. stangster@mac.com

stangster@mac.com Bit poster

same here. installation of Windows SP2 hangs at 33 Minutes on a 24 inch iMac with 1GB
    (parrallels build 1970)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  5. mdelange

mdelange Bit poster

Same here. Updated to Parallels build 3186 and attempted several XP installs, all of which stopped after 'Installing Devices' with a blue screen (seems like the default XP desktop background color). Tried 'Windows Express', 'Typical' and 'Custom' installs.

6. Tom Friedhof

Tom Friedhof Bit poster

Finally got it installed

I had the same issue as well. Tried installing 3 different times using the Windows Express method, and it kept freezing up on me at the same point as the rest of you, "installing devices" stage.

I ended up running a parallels update and downloaded the latest parallels and it still hung up on "installing devices".

Finally, I did a custom install, gave the VM the max memory allowed (604MB on my macbook), I chose a static partition of 10GB rather than the option to let the partition grow as you needed it, and voila windows xp install finally got past that stage.

Then the install choked when installing networking devices because I chose a bridged network connection rather than the default shared networking. I changed that setting back to shared and was able to finally get Windows installed. What a task!