Accessing physical/virtual CD-ROM drive

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by stevendewitt, Apr 27, 2007.

1. stevendewitt

stevendewitt Bit poster

Hi,
    In Parallels, I used to be able to access my physical or virtual CD-ROM drive without problem. After I upgraded from build 1970 to 3188, I noticed that although Parallels Desktop will let me designate a drive, I have no way afterwards of accessing its contents: physical CD-ROMs do not auto-run like they used to, and ISO files do nothing at all. I no longer have a CD drive icon in Windows, and when I look in my Windows hardware profile, it tells me that Windows successfully loaded the driver for this device but cannot find the device. I downgraded from 3188 to 1970 but the problem remains. Anyone else with this experience? Thanks.
    Steven

2. offspinner

offspinner Bit poster

I too have no CD-Rom Access

I am trialling Parallels with a Win 98 Virtual Machine, and installation goes very well up until th e point where Windows tries to find drivers on the first start-up ("New Hardware Found"). It seems that it cannot access the CD-Rom. This also explains why Parallels tools doesn't install - this is mounted on the same drive.

If I cancel all the Windows requests for drivers and get into Windows proper, I have an A: and C: drive but no D: as expected.

My boot floppy disk has a Cd-Rom driver and I can access D: from there!

I am running a MacBook with Superdrive. I will be happy to pay for the full version if we can get this problem resolved.;)

Many thanks!

3. mmika

mmika Pro

What does windows say about CDROM? You can find it here: Right click on "My Computer->Manage->Device manager". Also you may select menu "Scan for hardware changes"
    What is your VM configuration? If you have one HDD and one CDROM, make sure that into VM config HDD has address 0:0 and CDROM 0:1. It is recommended values.
    Try to boot windows with iso image connected at startup, in this case CDROM should be appear anyway, because it's independent from your hardware specific problems.

For those who lost CDROM into Win98: make shure that this one connected to primary IDE controller (i.e. has address 0:0 or 0:1). If your CDROM has address 1:0 or 1:1, probably you should add secondary IDE controller manually for Win98. After that windows finds your CDROM drive automaticaly.

4. offspinner

offspinner Bit poster

Thanks for your reply! My CD-Rom is on IDE 0:1. So that seems to be normal.

There is nothing whatsoever about the CD-Rom in Device Manager.

Cheers!

5. mmika

mmika Pro

offspinner, please follow these instructions:
    1. Into VM configuration open CDROM properties and set check box with "ENABLED"
    2. Set radio button to ISO image.
    3. Into image path point to some iso image on your disk (vmtools.iso for example).
    4. Set CDROM to IDE 0:1.
    5. Start VM, boot windows
    6. Go to device manager. Check for PRL-Virtual CD-ROM into CDROM devices

If CDROM doesn't appear try to
    1. Start "Add New Hardware" applet
    if cdrom was not found, please, check hard disk controller properties.
    There should be three items:
    1. Standart Dual PCI IDE Controller
    2. Standart Busmastering IDE Hard Disk Controller
    3. Primary IDE controller
    (Edited: I do not why, but if cdrom at secondary controller, point 4 doesn't present at the windows config, but anyway CCROM presents)
    4. Secondary IDE controller (if device with IDE 1:0 or 1:1 present)
    Look in detail Standart Dual PCI IDE Controller "properties->settings-> Dual IDE Channel Settings" What is there shown?

Also try to remove Standart Dual PCI IDE Controll from configuration , after that reboot windows.

Last edited: May 5, 2007