Windows is unresponsive / hung after resume from suspended state

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cedral, Sep 20, 2007.

1. cedral

cedral Bit poster

This has been happening to me intermittently for as long as I have been using parallels. I resume from a suspended state and windows resumes but I can't get it to respond to a click and the clock on the taskbar has the time I suspended showing rather than the current time. This time I have waited over half an hour for it to become responsive and it has not done so. I had to stop and start it. This is an intermittent problem that only happens once a week or so. This is a serious problem for me since this vm is a domain controller and exchange server. It takes forever to boot.

My env:
    Parallels Build 5160
    Windows Server 2003 R2 (1024 MBs alloted)
    Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz with 2 GBs Ram

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. joemaller

joemaller Bit poster

I get this occasionally, I assumed it was from changing the network settings on my Mac. For example, if I suspend a VM on one wifi network, then resume on a different wifi network or ethernet connection, the VM usually freezes.

Is this happening to you after suspend/resume the same network connection? I would love to get this fixed as the freeze-reboot step does take forever and hangs up a lot of the other stuff on my mac.

I'm on a MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16, 2GB RAM. VM is running Windows XP

3. cedral

cedral Bit poster

I can reproduce that problem reliably and I have just treated it as something to expect. You know, the mac was rebooted between suspending and restoring and the connection is dhcp so that might make it look different to the os. I know it got the same ip address though. My leases are infinite.

4. Jerry

Jerry Member

I also have this problem with the latest build. Eventually only a reset will get it going again.

Macbook Pro 2.33, 2Gig ram, OS 10.4.10

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

this issue seems to be rather uncommon so while investigating it in-house, we haven't managed to render the exact situation.
    Our QA Team is working on it and If you could describe an accurate test case for it, that would be very useful for us at settling the issue.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

6. Luca Boccaccini

Luca Boccaccini Bit poster

Hello Alicia,

my case is different: my Macbook doesn't resume from suspension mode. It REBOOTS like a fresh start from pressing the ON button. Obviously I loose everything I've done on the VM.

This happens EVERYTIME my Macbook goes out of charge: I plug it to the charger, wait some seconds for the led to come orange, then I press the ON button (nothing else is accepted to wake it up).
    Normally my Macook would show a white screen at first, then a freezed-white-desktop with a progressing bar indicating the resume process going on.
    But when I wake it up from suspended mode (and Parallels Desktop was working before suspension), it simply...crashes? Freezes, so OS X needs to restart?

I don't know, but this is really annoying!
    The only way to avoid this issue is to PAUSE the VM before letting my Macbook going on suspended mode... that's a poor trick if you consider that an out-of-charge can happen while you are on the road. A person would think: OK, it's gone in suspended mode, but everything is safe on Macbook's hard drive.
    OOPS! Everything lost!

May you check it out, please?
    I've got a May 2007 Macbook 2,0 Ghz - 80 GB hard drive (12 GB free) - 2 GB RAM.

Thanks a lot, Alicia: I hope you guys will have a good word for me.

Luca Boccaccini

7. marcdraco

marcdraco Bit poster

5160 Hung while playing movie

I was resuming while a movie was playing in VNC and the machine hung using build 5160. Two things are worth noting:

* The sound icon was flashing like a mad thing - but no sound was being produced.
    * The CPU load was over 113% with 20 threads and nearly 1.5Gb of VM in use.

I have a screen grab of the activity monitor to show this if it's any help - the attachment won't upload in colour.

5160 has been the least reliable build to date for me. :-(

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Luca Boccaccini, marcdraco,

thank you for your feedbacks, I've sent your test cases to our QA team. We will try to reproduce the situation in-house and pass all bugs to our developers for repairing.

Best Regards,
    Alicia.

9. marcdraco

marcdraco Bit poster

Good luck on that one Alicia. I really need Paralells day-to-day and I've invested too much time and money into it to move to (gasps) V.M. Ware.

My system is a 2.16Ghz Core Duo on a 24" iMac Tiger 10.4.10
    2Ghz RAM with about 600Mb for Windows.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  10. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

A similar thing happens to me and is quite reproduceable. Run TightVNC or UltraVNC on the VM and OSXVnc on the Mac. When the Mac goes to sleep for a short period, awakening it leads to a frozen screen saver that requires a reboot.

11. marcdraco

marcdraco Bit poster

Do you mean reboot the Mac? I've tried a force-quit on Parallels and it just comes up totally locked out - it's not even possible to restart the VM; which would be a useful "get out of jail free card" if Windaz got stuck like this.

12. ljk@nidr.com

ljk@nidr.com Bit poster

5160 does not install

I downloaded 3.5160 last night and ran the install. This morning I checked and nothing had happened, other than that my Mac (MacPro, 2x2.66 Dual-core Xeon, OS 10.4.10) was fairly frozen - couldn't even force quit. Thoughts?

13. pendolino

pendolino Member

i think it could be the network switching

hi - i think one of the earlier posters on this thread may have nailed it. this happens to me on and off and it seems that i only shutdown parallels (as opposed to leaving it on and sleeping the mac) when i am moving from one location to another that usually means a new network connection (different wifi, ethernet, etc).

i will continue to test if this is the case and update as needed. will keep watching for any solutions.

i am running build 5158.

14. uncrase

uncrase Bit poster

Mainly since the upgrade for me

For what it's worth, I've been experiencing this same problem I would say 50% of the time when bringing up XP from suspended state. But for me the problem started since upgrading to 5160 (from a 4xxx build I believe), before that I almost never had an issue like that.

My environment: constantly switching between my home and office network, and in both cases running Parallels on a secondary screen, either full screen or coherence.

I try to shut down all apps before suspending, but this does not seem to make it any better.

Martijn

15. davidhale

davidhale Member

I'll put in my case, too, making this less uncommon.

I shut down my VM, then shut down the computer. I restarted the computer in a different location, selected my new location from the location manager, and the VM would not start up. It hung on "resuming...". It finally resumed after about a 10 minute wait.

16. Hudsonguy

Hudsonguy Junior Member

I'm having same problem, more or less

When my Macbook's been asleep and I wake it up and then go to restart Parallels Desktop Windows XP opens fine but is locked up. I have to reset the virtual machine and then I'm ok. I do NOT allow sleep with Parallels Desktop running and the problem still occurs. Do I need to exit Windows before closing Parallels in order to avoid this in future? I'm running Leopard and Parallels Build 3214. Thanks for any help or advice.

17. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello all,

I'd recommend to update Parallels Desktop build 5582 which works better both with Leopard and Tiger. Will the issue still occur after the upgrade?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

18. gary

gary Member

Hello,

I have this issue with Parallels 4. :) This is XP SP3 upgraded from Parallels 3. Core Duo MacBook Pro.

19. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

Ditto. I've the exact same problem. I just downloaded and upgraded to 4.0 today. The VM becomes unresponsive every time the screen saver kicks in. Parallels itself is okay. I can even cause the VM start to empty the Recycling Bin via Parallel's menu, but of course, I can't select "Okay" inside the VM, so it never gets emptied.

This VM is running off of Boot Camp.

20. gary

gary Member

One possibility is that I installed the Boot Camp iSight drivers in my VM. I can't remember if resume worked properly with 4.0 before I did this.