Running Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by luke666s, Jun 11, 2013.

1. luke666s

luke666s Bit poster

hi...
    with 10.9 Mavericks as host system paralles 8 desktop is not working... no virtual machine can be started...
    first there is an error that vt is not activated... then an error, that drivers are not installed...

2. Caesium

Caesium Junior Member

Parallels in OSX 10.9 host

Hello!

Obviously can't say too much without breaking developer NDA, but Parallels (7.0.15107) doesn't seem to work in the OSX 10.9 beta.

The list of virtual machines appears, but I have varied results trying to resume a machine; some of them just plain never appear, no window - some of them appear but claim virtualisation is disabled so the guest will run slowly (problem id: 507), but then fail to load the parallels driver (id: 352, leading onto id 41).

At any rate no guests will start. Anyone have any other experiences, does PD8 fare any better? Will we see a fix for 7, or shall I just wait for PD9.

3. madamm

madamm Junior Member

it is the same with parallels 8 --> is there a parallels' representative to tell us if there is a solution for that in the near future,
    or is it easier to switch to vmware ( vmware 5.03 is reported to work, not to expensive ... ).

4. MatGailes

MatGailes Bit poster

Here's something I worked out earlier for Parallels 8 Desktop.

So, Parallels 8 doesn't run natively under Mavericks, as it doesn't seem to be able to load the kernel extensions.

Load them manually via kextutil:

Terminal - go to Applications/Parallels Desktop/Contents/Library/Extensions/10.6

sudo kextutil prl_hypervisor.kext/
    sudo kextutil prl_vnic.kext/
    sudo kextutil prl_hid_hook.kext/
    sudo kextutil -d ./prl_hypervisor.kext prl_netbridge.kext/
    sudo kextutil prl_usb_connect.kext

Then start Parallels Desktop, and your guests should start up again.

You may need to re-set networking within the guest.

Not sure how stable this is going to be, but appears to be working at the moment.

Have fun now,
    Mat

5. PelleR

PelleR Bit poster

Same issue here.

First I get this message:
    http://cl.ly/image/1E1r2k3b183Y

After I get this message:
    http://cl.ly/image/1p3O1P0D2X3o

And lastly I get a bug report form to fill out, but forgot to copy the ID for reference this issue (sorry).

6. luke666s

luke666s Bit poster

7. MatGailes

MatGailes Bit poster

8. msurtees

msurtees Bit poster

Same here. Bummer :(

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Is this after a clean install of PDM8 in 10.9 or 10.8 was upgraded to 10.9 with PD8 in place? I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling PDM8, have you guys tried that?

10. luke666s

luke666s Bit poster

hi... it was an update... pdm8 running on 10.8 updated to 10.9.... i'll try uninstall and reinstall later...

11. luke666s

luke666s Bit poster

how to do a proper uninstall? only moving to trash?? cause the the problem still exists....

12. bradhs123

bradhs123 Junior Member

Wow, this works!

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes, just moving to the trash, but in another similar thread a user found the problem, PDM8's kernel extensions have to be manually launched.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?287726-Parallels-in-OSX-10-9-host

Why this is happening, I have no idea. But I'm sure Parallels will sort this behaviour for PDM8, for PDM7 I'm not so sure, depends if it's 2 year support has ended or not.

Or maybe Apple will fix this. It's still a developer preview, remember that.

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Be sure to also report this problem to Apple.

15. JohannP

JohannP Bit poster

Thank's a lot Mat! This does the trick. Now Parallels starts on Mavericks

Now, I have fun
    Hans

16. Caesium

Caesium Junior Member

Doesn't work for 7 since it doesn't have that Extensions directory as far as I can see :(

Edit: I tell a lie! Found them in /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6 and it seems to work :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  17. AlexMBento

AlexMBento Bit poster

Doesn't work for me!

No kernel file specified, using '/mach_kernel'

Any idea!?

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Follow the instructions carefully, you have to know your way around the terminal, you have to change dir to teh one specified and only then issue the commands.

19. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Anyone experiencing this problem should report this to Apple, that's what the Dev preview is for anyway.

20. Caesium

Caesium Junior Member

But we don't know that it's a problem with 10.9 yet. It might be a problem with Parallels, and trivially fixable by them, so we'd just be wasting Apple's time.

I'd rather wait for confirmation from Parallels rep that the problem lies with 10.9.