Dual monitor full screen Mavericks does not work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by strells, Oct 24, 2013.

1. strells

strells Product Expert

I put this in another thread, but it seems to have gotten lost.

When I fullscreen PD9, either with PD fullscreen or OSX fullscreen, the second display is not seen. I have my desktop set to extended and two little display pictures appear in Win7's Displays preferences, but the second display just isn't there. I can use the second display in Coherence but not fullscreen.

I updated to the latest PD9 yesterday and completely uninstalled and reinstalled Tools.

Steve

2. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Hello Steve,

could you please enable detailed log messaging (via "Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Advanced->Troubleshooting: Use detailed log messages"), reproduce the problem with fullscreen, send a problem report ("Parallels Desktop->Help->Report a Problem...") and post its iD here?

Best regards,
    Ivan

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Hi Ivan. The ID is 30216725. Strangely, Win 7 shows a second display, but it's positioned to the left of my main display even though my second display is on the right (and always has been.

Steve
    Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 2.47.39 PM.png

4. AndreasRap

AndreasRap Bit poster

I have the exact same issue with Windows 8.1. Windows sees two monitors, but my 2nd monitor only shows my Mac screen. Please tell me there is a fix for this issue without having to upgrade Parallels :)

5. YongrokK

YongrokK Bit poster

I have the same problem.
    My windows 7 parallels machine(configured the "using whole display in full screen mode" option on)
    doesn't use multiple monitors on my macbook although windows recognizes the whole displays are used

my parallels version is 8.0.18608
    and my macbook is pro retina (2013 early maybe), 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM
    and OS X version is 10.9 mavericks

6. ikorobov

Thanks for the report, Steve!

7. ikorobov

Hello, YongrokK,

Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks has introduced a new feature, "space per display", which is fully supported in the latest Parallels Desktop 9 update only (from the revision 9.0.23136.932290).
    So, to use multiple monitors in Parallels Desktop on Mavericks, the options are
    1. Upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9
    or
    2. Turn off the option "Displays have separate Spaces" in "System Preferences->Mission Control". Please note that this would affect all programs on Mac OS.
    or
    3. Turn off the option "Use native Mac OS X Full Screen" in the "Virtual Machine Configuration->Options->Full Screen".

Best regards,
    Ivan

8. YongrokK

YongrokK Bit poster

Thanks Ivan
    I upgrade my Parallels Desktop to 9, and it works for me.

Regards
    Yongrok

9. rmurta

rmurta Bit poster

I upgraded to parallels 9 and have 2 problems.
    I'm using windows 7 and my displays have separate spaces (I would like to keep in this way, it's much better).
    Problem 1: The parallels screen get blink and don't get completely adjusted into screen, fighting with mac new superior bar, windows bar get out of screen. It just starts in the correct place, and than the windows inferior bar get pushed to botton.
    Problem 2: Sometimes when I alternate to full screen, parallels screen just disappears into a position that do not exist in the current space, so I have to get out of the full screen.

Some clue?

10. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Bit poster

I have updated to Parallels 9.0.24172 and still my windows 7 does not recognized the second monitor. I also turned off the displays have separate spaces in system preferences. And still I can only see my second monitor on the MAC side of my computer. Please help me.

11. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Bit poster

What did you do I upgraded and it still is not working for me.

I have updated to Parallels 9.0.24172 and still my windows 7 does not recognized the second monitor. I also turned off the displays have separate spaces in system preferences. And still I can only see my second monitor on the MAC side of my computer. Please help me.

12. Binaryspiral

Binaryspiral Bit poster

I've had to switch to the spaces picker and manually drag one of the two virtual desktop "spaces" from my main window to my secondary.

CTRL + Up Arrow brings up the spaces, then just drag one of the two windows from your VM over to your second display.

It's never fool proof and I find myself having to re-jigger my desktops almost daily when I launch my VM for work in the morning.

-I'm using Parallels 9.0.24172 with a 2011 MBP 15" and a Dell 23" IPS Monitor connected to the thunderbolt/mini-dp port using an mini-dp to DVI adapter

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014