BSOD 0x0000010E on startup

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Matt Massey, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Matt Massey

Matt Massey Bit poster

Today I installed Windows 7 Professional x64 onto my late 2008 Unibody Macbook using Bootcamp. The Bootcamp installation went fine and I've more or less set up Windows for dual-booting. I'm using Macdrive to access OS X's partition and the only thing I really did before attempting to add this install to Parallels was switch some of the libraries in Windows to their respective folders in OS X; for example, I switched the location of the Music library to the music folder in OS X, the location of Windows's desktop to OS X's, et cetera.

After this, I booted back into OS X and attempted to add the Windows 7 install as a VM through Parallels 5 by adding a new VM through Bootcamp. The installation went fine until I attempted to boot the VM in Parallels. It gave me a BSOD while booting; the BSOD appeared immediately after the "Starting Windows" part of booting.

The BSOD's STOP code is 0x0000010E and the second line of the error says "The video memory manager has encountered an unexpected fatal error." I'm guessing this means there's some sort of discrepancy between Windows and the virtual graphics card. As far as I can tell, there aren't any other threads in this forum regarding this particular BSOD, but if there are please correct me. I attached a screenshot of it to this thread.

Any ideas? I've experimented a bit with the VM's specs (mostly the graphics card since that seems to be the source of the problem) but everything ends with the same result. The install still works fine when I boot into it, so I don't think anything's really broken on Windows's side. The video card is the same one that comes with this laptop out of the box, an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. I've switched the HDD out for a 500gb Western Digital WD5000BEVT and the RAM out for two sticks of 2gb Mac RAM (whatever they sell out the Apple store), but otherwise the computer uses all its original hardware.

Attached Files:

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Matt,

do you have DisplayLink drivers installed in Windows 7?

3. Matt Massey

Matt Massey Bit poster

Yes, I do have DisplayLink drivers installed. I'm using this computer on a work station set up in my office - the displays of the workstation consist of the Macbook and LCD's. One LCD connects to the Macbook through a DVI cable to the computer's graphics card via a DVI -> Mini DVI adapter. The other LCD connects to the computer using a USB external graphics card, an IOGear GUC2020DW6 (here's the product page). In order for the other display to work, I needed to install a DisplayLink driver.

I noticed that there was an update for the driver, so I installed it in hopes that it was a patch for this problem and tried booting the VM again but it resulted in the same BSOD. I then booted back into Windows and disabled the DisplayLink adapter via the device manager and retried booting the VM but I still got the same BSOD. I guess I'll try completely uninstalling the driver next.

Is this a known issue? I had a previous install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC build 7000 under the exact same conditions: same hardware, same workstation, same external graphics card, same Parallels version, same DisplayLink driver...however, I never had any trouble booting into Windows 7 through Parallels then. If there's any way I can use Parallels to boot into Windows while still using my external graphics card to extend display to the third monitor, I'd be very grateful to know how.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Matt,

Recently a few problems turned out to be related to DisplayLink drivers. The exact USB-to-DVI brand doesn't matter as long as it is based on DisplayLink chip.
    In your case of Windows 7 BSOD I suggest to completely uninstall DisplayLink driver from Windows. We're contacting DisplayLink to discuss the issue.
    If you have DisplayLink drivers installed in OS X 10.6.3 your Windows 7 VM may boot into black screen. This issue is discussed here. The simple solution is to unplug USB-to-DVI box before starting the VM and plug it back once VM is started. If you need Windows 7 to use three displays follow these steps:
    1. Shut down your VM
    2. Right-click on the VM and choose Show Package Contents
    3. Right-click on config.pvs and choose Open With > Other...
    4. Choose TextEdit application to open XML based VM configuration
    5. Cmd-F to find "MaxDisplays" tag:
    <MaxDisplays>0</MaxDisplays>
    replace value 0 with 3 (or more if you have more than 1 USB-to-DVI adapters)
    6. Save changes and restart your VM
    Note that this manual setting overrides display autodetection. It is recommended that you reset this change later when fix is included in Parallels Desktop.

We plan to resolve these issues in the next update of Parallels Desktop 5, but there's no date yet, it's in the works.

5. Matthew86T

Matthew86T Bit poster

I have the same set up: Unibody MacBook Pro with Windows 7 64bit and a Diamond BVU195 that uses the DisplayLink drivers. I am running Parallels 6.0.11822 Rev. 604190. This is the latest version of Parallels and I am still receiving the BSOD with "The video memory manager has encountered an unexpected fatal error." The BSOD occurs even when I boot up with the USB-DVI adapter disconnected.

Please let me know how I can go about fixing this problem.

Attached Files:

6. MiamiAlbert

MiamiAlbert Bit poster

I have also been encountering the same issue for a couple of months. I am using MacBook Pro and Parallels 6 with a Belkin USD to DVI adapter and DisplayLink. My PVM is a Win 7 64 Bit Boot Camp Import.

I have tried all the following - with same result Matthew86T reports above:

1. Followed the instructions in this post, and modified config.pv, and the issue persisted.

2. Disconnected the USB adapter, booted into OS X, and then launched PVM with the same result.

3. Followed the instructions in the following post - http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=95628 - which refers to changing the Video Card Driver.

Is there any news on a solution? I am slightly sight impaired and require two 24" Displays.

Thank you in advance.

Albert

7. steagle

steagle Bit poster

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just encountered this problem today. I am on the latest build of Parallels 6 as of 8/22/11, and using Windows 7 x64 (also with latest updates) with a Plugable USB-to-HDMI adapter (model #UGA-2K-A, using the DisplayLink 195 chipset). I can boot into W7 and use the adapter no problem, but when launching W7 through Parallels, I get the BSOD. If this issue has been addressed already, what is the solution? I have already modified the config.pv file which did not fix it.

8. steagle

steagle Bit poster

Just in case anyone's interested, I got a reply from Wim @ DisplayLink regarding this issue:

9. RyanTechKevin

RyanTechKevin Bit poster

Worked for me

Hey everyone, I have a MBP 2011 model with displaylink drivers and uninstalled them from Win7 and then did exactly what they recommended with the <MaxDisplays>3</MaxDisplays> change and I'm running full screen on Win and Mac no issues. Just wanted to share.

10. FugaxD

FugaxD Bit poster

Update for Newbies like me - Fixed the problem

Also was getting the BSOD 0x0000010E on Migrating a Win 7 x64 installation. Issue related to "Video Memory Management" problem. I had DisplayLink drivers installed on my Win7 machine for my iPad.

Solution:

1. Uninstall DisplayLink drivers from the Windows PC prior to the migration.
    2. Restart PC
    3. Run Parallels migration as normal.

Worked for me.

The original thread in 2010 promised fixes from Parallels to deal with this issue but these appear not to have materialised.

11. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Member

How does one "right-click on the VM?"

12. bondingfortoday

bondingfortoday Bit poster