Requesting Help

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Eru Ithildur, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I thought I would just throw out some guidelines for people who need to get help...

Firstly, try the Search feature before posting your question on the forum... A search on 'Black Screen' returns a bunch of results on how to fix it... ;) There are currently a total of 191 threads to a query about a Black Screen issue that have at least 2 replies to them inside of the 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' forum. The chances that one of these threads will hold your answer is VERY large. On the other hand, do yourself a favor and gain some esteem with the rest of us by letting us know what you did find by the search that you have tried.

Secondly, I have found that Parallels supports their supported features well of late. If you have a non-standard configuration, please, be patient, do not go trolling around the forum sounding off. You don't have the 'right' to support. This doesn't mean you will not get help. Yes, it is great when a company goes the extra mile and helps you out, but unless you pay for it, think of it as a perk, because it is. On the same note, if your question has been answered 191 times, should Parallels support really have to re-type the answer for the 192nd time? :eek:

Thirdly, if you need help, we usually need to know a few specifics, people rarely complain about too many specifics... Here are some usual things that help out, if you don't know where, or how, to get them, just mention that.
    Here is a list:
    1. Mac OS Version
    2. Parallels Build #
    3. What kind of computer
    4. Total Physical RAM
    5. Hard Drives
    6. If you are using a BootCamp configuration or not
    7. Did you upgrade from a BETA
    8. With what Build did the problem start
    9. If Parallels Tools are installed
    10. Anything you have tried to get things working
    11. Anything specific about your set-up you think we should know
    12. If you are crashing, upload some crash logs
    13. If you are getting an error message type it in and then attach a screenshot.
    14. If you are having issues with a specific component (i.e. mouse, keyboard, monitor) tell us what it is.

Here is an example:
    I keep getting the black screen on boot after upgrading to the latest Build (3188) from BETA 3018. I have an XServe, 4 GB of RAM, two hard 750 GB hard drives. I have formatted my second drive and run Windows off of it. I am using Parallels on my OS X Boot Drive and am trying to use my Boot Camp Windows. The problem just started with my latest build. I do have Parallels tools installed for the prior BETA but I cannot get into Windows because of the Black Screen. I have tried repairing disk permissions as suggested in several threads, but that does not work.

The chances of getting your question answered are much higher if you just give some basic info... And it will definetly be less time until it is resolved. :D

~Eru

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007