Upgrading from Parallels 5 to Parallels 6 creates a hidden snapshot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PlectoR, Nov 19, 2010.

1. PlectoR

PlectoR Junior Member

Hi all,

by analyzing the Snapshots.xml and DiskDescriptor.xml files of my VM, I realized that starting from the time I upgraded my VM from Parallels 5 to Parallels 6 an hidden snapshot was introduced in the hdd package.

I say "hidden" because while no snapshot is included in the Snapshots.xml file, a snapshot is instead listed in the DiskDescriptor.xml file.

Also, managing snapshots shows no snapshots for my VM, while the compression utility fails saying I have snapshots.

My VM is now increasing in size, everyday more and more, and I cannot find a solution for it.

I experienced this behavior for both the two VMs with Win XP I upgrared to Parallels 6.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. PlectoR

PlectoR Junior Member

Anybody experiencing the same problem? The snapshot increases in space as I continue using my VMs.
    Eric, please help! How can I delete the "hidden" snapshot?

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'm not sure that this will be helpful, but take a look at http://kb.parallels.com/en/9165

4. PlectoR

PlectoR Junior Member

Thanks for your reply Eric. I reverted to Parallels 5 and I'm still using that version of the system.
    I'll try to move forward to Parallels 6 and see if the problem appears again.