Bug in 6.0.11990: Outlook Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Professor MSB, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Professor MSB

Professor MSB Bit poster

After upgrading to 6.0.11990, Outlook 2010 (under Windows 7) will no longer open links in e-mails.
    OLD BEHAVIOR: click on a link in an e-mail, web page opens in IE
    NEW BEHAVIOR: click on a link in an e-mail, error message is returned: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

Microsoft web site has a number of suggested fixes, none of which works. Parallels update seems to have changed security settings somehow.

2. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

Yes!!

I've run into this also and I'm not happy about this issue at all...

3. Ronald Bokleman

Ronald Bokleman Member

I thought I was losing my mind and tried playing with the config of the VM under Applications to open Web Pages and Email in Windows. Had NO EFFECT on this issue. I also killed the checkbox on Share Mac applications with Windows - no luck their either.

Parallels - we are not TESTERS of the product. Get this fixed soon or it's off to VMWare Fusion.

4. AndyMustapick

AndyMustapick Bit poster

Bug in 6.0.11990 VERIFIED!!!

Installed ParallelsDesktop-parallels-en_US-6.0.11990.621014.dmg
    Created brand new virtual machine and installed clean fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
    Immediately install Office 2010 Professional Plus
    Immediately configured Outlook 2010 for my mailbox hosted Exchange 2007 server.
    Hyperlinks within Outlook work perfectly.
    Performed all Windows and Office updates and rebooted.
    Hyperlinks within Outlook continue to work perfectly.
    Installed Parallels Tools 6.0.11990 and rebooted.
    Immediately tested hyperlinks within Outlook and they failed with the following message:
    "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

5. mrutter

mrutter Member

Please, fix this bug!
    We cannot wait anymore: it's a real problem.

MR

6. Dan Harkless

Dan Harkless Bit poster

How about Outlook 2007?

Anyone try Outlook 2007 under 6.0.11990? Does it have this problem?

7. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Yes, it does - XP SP 3 and Outlook 2007. This is more than annoying on a productive machine.

8. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Took a look at the registry. In HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, there is no more file association entry for html file type anymore.

Looking at folder options in Windows File Explorer, there's the same picture - file association for html documents is missing.

That means that the registry must have been corrupted during the installation of the Parallels tools update.

Possible Solution: Open MS Internet Explorer, go to Internet options, the programs tab and mark 'Internet Explorer is the standard browser' (klick the button right of that text).

After closing IE and closing and reopening Outlook the problem is gone.

In the File explorer Folder options there are associations to HTA, HTM, HTML and HTT which were missing before. Same picture in the registry.

There is IMHO no other possibility than the Parallels tools update was scrambling the registry.

I get a lot of "... caused a problem and was closed" messages since the update as well. This is really a nightmare!

9. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hello everyone,

Parallels is aware of this problem. Our development team is currently working on a fix.
    We will post the workaround/fix as soon as we get it. It won't take too long.

Thanks for understanding.

10. mrutter

mrutter Member

To lnemo:
    Than you for your tips. Me too have the same problem (caused a problem and was closed). I noticed that in the most cases, the message si referred to a shell extension. For example, since I updated to last versione of PD, the "HashOnClick" shell extension by 2BrightSparks stops frequently forcing explorer to restart.

Moreover, opening MS Internet Explorer and setting it as standard browser does not work in my case.

To Parallels:
    Please, consider that we can not wait much longer. This is a blocking problem.

Thank you.
    MR

11. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

To mrutter:

Umm - in some cases the following may help:

- Close Outlook and IE and Win File explorer.
    - Install Firefox, Crome or any other browser.
    - Let that new browser be the standard browser when asked.
    - Close the new browser and start IE.
    - In IE options set IE back to standard.

Also notice that html links are not the only ones that are broken - I experienced the same with a Powerpoint link and we will probably find more. Goddamn ...

12. Wangooroo1

Wangooroo1 Bit poster

Confirmed problem with Win 7 64bit Office 2010

I have this same problem.

Running Windows 7 in 32bit and 64bit, both with Office 2010/Outlook 2010.

No URL links will open by clicking on them in outlook. Work around is to change default programs in IE, but that does not work after a reboot.

VERY ANNOYING!

I have stuck with Parallels through thick and thin since v2 days. I am not happy and I am trying VMware Fusion now.

If this is not fixed within the next 10 days I am dumping Parallels. Your QA testing simply sucks!

13. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Yes, I forgot to mention - problems return after reboot. Only workaround so far is not just clicking the link, but copying it into your browser ...