tick..tock...tick..tock...Times up!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by kelobro, Apr 10, 2007.

1. kelobro

kelobro Member

I really like Parallels but I just downloaded fusion. I gotta have 64bit compatibility. I spent $1000 on a server that sets idle in a corner (for months) waaaaaaaaaaaaiting on Parallels to produce a 64-bit compatible (at least with the host!) version. Times up, I'm moving on

I had such high hopes for Parallels. oh well.

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Well, you may be surprised, but Parallels does support 64-bit at least with the host for the loooong time :)

3. idgt

idgt Bit poster

Can you tell me were to get the 64bit version - as 2112 states...

64-bit version of the Microsoft Windows XP is not supported.
    Setup can not be continued.

Earlier post states that Parallels can run on a 64bit host.

4. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

For the moment we're talking about 64-bit hosts - as you may find, all latest versions of MacOS X versions are 64-bit internally.
    64-bit guests support is indeed no available to the public yet and will be released with the next major update to the Parallels virtualization engine.

5. Roaster

Roaster Member

Does this mean I will be able to run Parallels Workstation on a 32 bit host and use a 64 bit Vista, for example, as Guest?

6. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Nop, this means that you can run 32-bit guests in both 32- and 64-bit hosts.
    In fact, it is technically impossible to run 64-bit operating systems on hardware that doesn't support it at competitive speed. None of virtualization vendors does support this (only 64-bit guests on 64-bit hardware).

7. kelobro

kelobro Member

So where exactly are your instructions for getting Parallels working with 4GB of RAM on 64-bit linux? Another Parallels employee said it couldn't be done with the current version. 64-bit on the Mac doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, but we are talking about PCs here. Why would anyone want Windows as a host OS with all it's overhead if they know how to use Linux?

I could have been more detailed in my statement, but then again, the same could be said of you.

8. idgt

idgt Bit poster

I understand that you state you can run Parallels on a 64-bit host - but it will not install on WindowsXP 64bit. Is there another download that I need. I simply want to run 32-bit Guest on a 64-bit Windows XP Host. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

9. idgt

idgt Bit poster

Hello!? Anyone here to answer this?

10. deljohn

deljohn Bit poster

Same Issue but Using Vista 64 Bit

I am in the same situation. Running Vista 64 bit but all I want to do is install it and run 32 bit Ubuntu. Since I could not get Parallels to install I assumed I was out of luck until version 3.

11. deljohn

deljohn Bit poster

No reply after two weeks. So I assume you cannot installl in Vista 64 bit. I'm feeling ripped off...