Bad graphics

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tom Collignon, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

In windows 7 after installing parallels tools with 3d enabled, i get mostly black on my screen (text disappears). Even when browsing most websites turn black.

Examples:

No 3d
    [​IMG]

With 3d
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

Problem solved by parallels support.

3. alev

alev Parallels Team

I'd like to share solution for people who could face this issue and fortunately found this thread:

Please open up Virtual machine configuration-> Hardware tab-> Boot Order and please try the following strings in boot flag section one at a time and see how it works (Note, you are able to configure hardware settings for your VM only when it is shut down, changes cannot be applied on the fly):
    video.dx_profile=4
    video.dx_profile=6
    video.dx_profile=5
    video.dx_profile=3
    video.dx_profile=2
    video.dx_profile=1

Schilde has ATI Radeon HD 2600: "video.dx_profile=4" fixed issue.
    Tom has ATI Radeon X1600: "video.dx_profile=5" fixed issue.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. cfbauerjr

cfbauerjr Bit poster

Problem Solved

Thanks to those that replied, the suggestion by Tom and the detailed fix by Parallel's support was exactly what I needed, since my Macbook Pro is also using a Radeon X1600 the string, (video.dx_profile=5) inserted into the Boot Flags box worked perfectly.

5. Tom Collignon

Tom Collignon Member

Problem also solved with Mac OS 10.7 and new build from parallels.
    No bootflags needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  6. dclunie

dclunie Junior Member

Similar problem with Java ?

I wonder if this is related to the problems with rendering in Java that have been described in other threads (e.g., http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=106266)?

When I encountered IE9 problems today I turned off 3D acceleration and the problem went away, but I have not tried changing the boot flags instead, as suggested above.

My problems are on an old Macbook Pro with an ATI Radeon X1600; I haven't tried other hardware.

David

7. Rickygolucky

Rickygolucky Banned

Good for you. Parallels team are reliable sometimes.

8. Mark Law

Mark Law Bit poster

thanks! problems solved :)

I paid for Parallels support a while ago and they told me it was an issue to take up with Microsoft - due to IE9 being a new browser!

Thanks to Alev's solution my IE9 is now working :)

9. Schilde

Schilde Bit poster

Problem occurred here. Bootflags were desperately needed, solved the problem for me, Tom gave me directions.
    My System: Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Intel, ATI Radeon HD 2600, OS X 10.5.8, Parallels Desktop 6, Windows 7, IE 9: "video.dx_profile=4" fixed it. Thanks!

10. creativejam

creativejam Bit poster

Worked for Me

The video.dx_profile=4 boot flag worked for me on my Mac Pro with ATI Radeon HD 2600 and ATY,RadeonX1900 video cards.

11. Lohmeyer

Lohmeyer Junior Member

video.dx_profile=5 worked for me. Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo with the ATI Radio X1600 Graphics, running OS X 10.5.8. I had the issue both in Parallels for Mac 6 and 7.

video.dx_profile=4 also solve the IE9 problem, but setting to 4 also turned off several other graphics features such as transparency in Aero in Windows 7. video.dx_profile=6 didn't work. I didn't try the other settings.

Regards,
    Mike