Upgraded to 10.6.8 Creo / Pro Engineer Crashes

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnWilks, Aug 16, 2011.

1. JohnWilks

JohnWilks Bit poster

I have an engineering application that I use on a regular basis that is no longer working after upgrading to 10.6.8 with Parallels. I'm running the latest version of Parallels, tried redoing my VM from scratch, tried changing just about every setting in Parallels (Video, RAM, optimization, etc).

The application is Creo / Pro Engineer. This application works with Boot Camp so I know its not the application, did something change in 10.6.8 that would cause applications to act differently?

2. Printfun

Printfun Member

There were a number of programs that were affected by the 10.6.8 upgrade.
    Apple issued an additional 10.6.8 Supplemental download that is supposed to address these issues.
    You might want to give that a try first if you haven't already. It is available from your Apple menu and Software Update.

If that doesn't work, what issues is your Creo/Pro Engineer experiencing?

3. JohnWilks

JohnWilks Bit poster

The OS is up to date, software update finds not more updates.

The whole VM crashes when trying to open 2 files every time, no matter what size file. It goes from opening the second file to the "Click to Start" Windows 7 screen. It also does the same when working in single files. Using the same OS it doesn't crash in boot camp. Clearly a parallels issue with 10.6.8. I'm about to go back to 10.6.7 but was hoping someone has a workaround.

4. JohnWilks

JohnWilks Bit poster

Upgraded to Lion and the issue is still there.

5. Printfun

Printfun Member

Sorry to hear that.
    Out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling the Creo/Pro Engineer software?
    I know you would probably hate to do that since it works fine under Bootcamp, but it may help Parallels recognize it?

6. JohnWilks

JohnWilks Bit poster

I tried rebuilding my entire VM (Windows 7 and all). I just reinstalled and went back to 10.6.7 all is fine again, but clearly a Parallels issue. This has got to be and issue with more then this one app?

7. Printfun

Printfun Member

I would agree, it's probably more than just that one program that is being affected. I'm sure other users will popping up having similar problems.

8. sven.kutzner

sven.kutzner Bit poster

Hi, i have the same failure with my MacPro 4.1 but not with my MBP, both unter 10.6.8.

Does anyone have an idea?

9. Peterpll

Peterpll Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem. I noticed it crashes when i click to preview a model in the open file screen and also when i go to publish a drawing. I have also noticed it crashes if i attempt to open two models. This has made creo unworkable. I thought it was due to running parallels 5 but upgrading to 6 has not helped and a reinstall of creo has not helped.

10. Chris.ross

Chris.ross Bit poster

I also forgot to mention that it seems to only effect machines with i7 processors.

11. Chris.ross

Chris.ross Bit poster

Seems my first post wasn't "approved" so I will try this again. I worked with Parallels support back in mid June on this. The end result was found to be a bug and I was told it would be fixed in the next update. It's been over 2 months and the issue still exists.

The issue is anything 10.6.8 (including Lion) or higher running i7 processors (I believe). If you go back to 10.6.7 it will work.

12. sven.kutzner

sven.kutzner Bit poster

Now i updatet to Parallels 7, the same problem, the vm crashed,

13. serv

serv Forum Maven

Guys, thanks to everyone who raised the issue here and through our support channel. We reproduced the crash in our lab. It appears to be ATI graphics driver issue, and we're trying to devise a workaround right now. Please hold on.

14. FrancisMolloy

FrancisMolloy Bit poster

Wildfire 5.0 student edition won't install in Parallels

Hi,
    Not sure if this is related but I'm trying to install Wildfire 5.0 student and it just hangs at 2% copy files. I have not actually run ProE yet, just trying to install.
    Mac Lion, windows xp SP 3 in parallels 6.

15. Chris.ross

Chris.ross Bit poster

Serv first thanks for responding. Any estimate on the fix, my users have been waiting for a month? Or will this be fixed in 7 only?

16. serv

serv Forum Maven

Chris,

The fix will come for both PD6 and 7, the updates are already in the pipeline. I have no power to set the dates, but everyone here is working to get them out.