Parallels 7: Snow Leopard Host, Lion Guest

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Miggle, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Miggle

Miggle Bit poster

It appears from <http://kb.parallels.com/uk/112121> that it is possible to virtualise Lion as guest on a Snow Leopard host, the one proviso being that you need to buy the USB stick version of Lion from Apple ("using a USB installation stick: Note: It is the only way to install Lion to a virtual machine on a Leopard or a Snow Leopard host.").

I have tried this and it seems to work, but there appears to be no way of installing Bluetooth, which is essential for using the Magic Trackpad. This was one reason for my trying to use Lion as guest in order to try out the new gesture controls.

I also need to keep my costly legacy software (e.g. Adobe CS) running on Snow Leopard, while moving to new software on Lion.

Has anybody tried this combination and had any better success?

2. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

I wonder if anyone has a good working combination too. Better share it with us.[​IMG]

3. tshort

tshort Bit poster

I would be interested too - as a bunch of games I have requires Rosetta...

4. DonMontalvoCA

DonMontalvoCA Member

You can actually use the InstallESD.dmg image that is embedded in the Install Mac OS X.app installer, which is a full Lion installer. When you "Show Contents..." for the installer you'll find the installer DMG...

/Applications/Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Grab that DMG and point Parallels 7 to it...

Don Montalvo

5. Wprothero

Wprothero Bit poster

Problem connecting to shared folder

I installed a virtual lion system on my snow leopard host os. There are two problems I am having. Otherwise, all seems ok.

Problem 1:
    I can't see the shared folder that I set up in the virtual machine configuration panel. I have 4 windows virtual machines and the shared folder shows up on the desktop. I can't figure out how to access any of the shared files or directories.

Problem 2:
    The clipboard doesn't seem to be shared. On my windows virtual os's, I can copy and paste between machines. Is there some setting that can enable clipboard sharing?

6. Wprothero

Wprothero Bit poster

Never mind

I fixed it by installing parallels tools. When it said mount parallels cd, I didn't have one, so didn't, and I remembered that for my window installs, pt was installed as the machine was created. So I got brave, tried it, and it worked. Now I see shared folder and drives.

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

Miggle,

I suggest you to check if you have Parallels Tools installed too.
    Please install Tools and check the issue.

8. Wprothero

Wprothero Bit poster

Already done. See previous post.

9. YanaYana

YanaYana

Right, i've been directing this message to Miggle, the one who had created this thread.