Can't set up Lion VM on a Lion 10.7.1 machine

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by topher1078, Oct 5, 2011.

1. topher1078

topher1078 Bit poster

I'm unable to create a Lion virtual image in Parallels running on a 10.7.1 machine. From the Parallels wizard, I attempt to create a new machine via the Lion Recovery disk. The machine is created, boots, but immediately after the "bios" text, the VM quits and I get the error message:

"An invalid Mac OS version is installed.

Mac OS X virtual machines can have only the Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard operating system installed. Other versions of Mac OS are not supported."

which makes no sense, as I'm trying to install a Lion VM on a Lion system, which is supported. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. JamesBucanek

JamesBucanek Bit poster

Can't install Lion VM

I can't get Lion installed either.

I just purchased Parallels for the express purpose of running a Lion VM for testing. I installed Lion on my compeer (10.7.1), installed Parallels (7.0.14924).

I looked up the instructions for installing Mac OS X Lion and all I could find was:

However, I have no recovery partition. I tried to set the CD/DVD to the InstallESD.dmg image, but that fails following the restart with the message:

Install Failed
    Mac OS X can't be installed on the disk Macintosh HD, because a recovery system can't be created. Visit blah, blah, blah, ...

I also tried transferring the InstallESD.dmg to a USB drive, but was never able to figure out how to get the VM to boot from a USB disk (if that's even possible).

3. JamesBucanek

JamesBucanek Bit poster

I was finally able to get Lion installed.

I took a drive that I wasn't using much, installed it as an internal drive on my Mac Pro, made a backup of it, wiped it, installed Lion, rebooted into Lion, use the recovery partition it created to create/install a Lion VM in Parallels (which involves re-downloading Lion from the internet!!!!), wiped the drive again, and restored from the backup.

This took half a day. It really should have been easier than that...

4. Jonken2000

Jonken2000 Bit poster

If you have the InstallESD.dmg file available, it easy to create a VM with Lion as the guest OS. Create a new VM in Parallels by selecting "Install windows from DVD or image file". Press continue and then select the InstallESD.dmg file.

5. Knosis

Knosis Bit poster

This feature sold as working is still Alpha stage

I spent hours with tech support trying many things that never helped. I was told my case was being escalated to level2 support. So 3 days when by without an email or call. Again I tried my hand at making my Lion VM work. No luck. It seems to be that the drive is stuck at 64 gigs. The automatic expanding disk that works on my Win 7 VM does not work on mac VM's. Nor does the resize file system option. When I try to do a custom install I get errors about reading the disk even in the initial stages of installation.

I resized my Lion VM. It took half the day to resize it to 450 gigs and again an error at the end. Then the machine would not boot up. Bear in mind I did a custom install and never got to point of resized VM starting up to setup Lion. If I tried the restore Lion from 'Install OS X Lion Using the Recover Partition' I get more errors dealing with the disk or if I get it to start installing, it starts installing Lion and then downloading components. The only problem is the stuck size of the VM machine can't hold the updates Lion is downloading. Again sad.

So I decided after three days to contact support. Again level 1 could not help a said level two would call in two hours. It was 6 in the evening. By 8:30 no call. So I was told on two separate times that level 2 tech support would call and help. Nobody called or emailed in an amazing display of unprofessional behavior. This feature of running Lion in a VM is an Alpha not even beta stage product sold as new. We are being fooled. You'll see their tech support post links to support documents that provide no help. It is sad to see a company like Parallels fall so far quality and service wise.

Here to the old days of parallels when they made rock solid software. My guess is they have hired programers at 1/3 the cost and got the quality that comes with it. Where are the software engineers that made parallels desktop great?

I'd suggest you ask for your money back until they have working software. Don't let them take our money and waste our time like this. It is unprofessional and irresponsible.