Parallels using WINE? Possible liscensing issues...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by unused_user_name, Jun 8, 2007.

1. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Hello,

I came across a bunch of WINE dll's when looking through my Windows directory today... Short to say I was a bit surprised.

Some questions: Have you modified the WINE source in integrating it into Parallels? WINE is LGPL, so you only have to release your source if you changed WINE...

I'm going to take a few MD5s of the WINE dlls to see if they match what I can get from winehq.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Correct. In current implementation Parallels uses modified Wine code under LGPL license. LGPL license is not violated because Wine is absolutely separate binary (number of DLLs) installed in guest Windows and doesn't linked to any of Parallels code. It used for DirectX to OpenGL translation.

Modified Wine code is freely available by request from Parallels as any other 3-rd party code described here - http://www.parallels.com/en/licensing/ . It will be added to this section in 1-2 days once we prepare its source code package for delivery.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll email in asking for the modifications after this support storm for 3.0 ends.