How do I back up my virtual machine?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tempestblayze, Jun 15, 2007.

1. tempestblayze

tempestblayze Bit poster

Hello all,

I am new to parallels and I want to make a back up image of my virtual machine in case something happens in windows or I want to try and updated version.

I have tried searching through FAQ's and have come up short.

Thanks for the help!

2. John Purins

John Purins Member

The Parallels virtual machines are in ~/Documents/Parallels.

Each Parallels vm that you set up will have a folder in there. Just copy the entire vm folder to your backup location.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

In my case the VM files are in <my name>/library/parallels/<vm name>

They will probably be there unless you put them in a shared folder so other users could use it.

4. John Purins

John Purins Member

They could be in either location. The early versions of Parallels stored the vms where yours are and the location didn't change when a newer version of Parallels was installed.

Later versions of Parallels store the vms in the Documents folder so it depends upon how long you've been using Parallels.

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

Is there any functional difference between the two locations? Can a VM just be moved from one to the other?

Thank you,

David

6. John Purins

John Purins Member

Interesting question... it shouldn't matter from an operational viewpoint as to where the vm is actually located.

My guess is that Parallels changed the location in order to conform to Apple's guidelines as to where this type of file should be stored.

One way to find out would be to backup a particular vm and then copy it to the new location. Start Parallels Desktop for Mac, delete the original vm and then File > Open > Choose the vm from the new location. If it doesn't work, you can use the backup to place the vm back into its original folder.