Parallels in Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 (9A466)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by keirnna, Jul 15, 2007.

1. keirnna

keirnna Member

I cannot get Parallels to work even though there is supposed support for Leopard. I get the error: Unable to communicate with hypervisor!

[​IMG]

2. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

While the Parallels PR says it will support Leopard, 10.5 is still in beta and a moving target, so I'd take that claim with a grain of salt at this point. "Support" is a relative term and many are having problems installing Parallels in Tiger.

I do admire your sense of adventure :)

Phil

3. keirnna

keirnna Member

Well it turns out 3.0 works in Leopard. I guess this will force me to upgrade...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  4. keirnna

keirnna Member

Sorry here is an easier to view link: [​IMG]

And here is it working in Leopard:
    [​IMG]

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

... all of which flies in the face of your non-disclosure agreement on the Leopard beta program.

6. leobag

leobag Bit poster

I dont understand this post. First you say that it works, then you say that it doesn't. Well, does it or doesn't it? What made it all-of-a-sudden work?

7. keirnna

keirnna Member

Parallels version 2 will not work in Leopard. That is the first screen shot I posted. The second is of Parallels version 3 working in Leopard, so V2 no and V3 yes.

8. Stang

Stang Bit poster

I have Leopard, as well as V3 build 4560, I am getting the Hypervisor error. Any suggestions?

9. netmorix

netmorix Bit poster

I have the same problem. After installing the latest Build of parallels, none of the windows installations work. I always get the messsage "Unable to communicate with hypervisor!"

It was a reason to update to the latest version because of 10.5 support. VMWare works fine with 10.5 (but it isn't as good as parallels... ;-) )

Please try to solve the problem. I'm a software developer and its very important to get all the stuff tetsted under windows... otherwise I would have to buy a pc - brrrrrr..... ;-)

Kindest regards

10. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

Hallo.

Stang and netmorix, please tell me what Leopard builds you use. We will investigate this problem.

11. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Works well for me with 4560 and 9A466.

Took a bit of fiddling with 4560 with 9A499 (/Library/Parallels was not properly created).

Still have to try 5060 on 9A499

12. netmorix

netmorix Bit poster

Hi Relan,

it's Leopard Build 9A499 on a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. On both machines the same problem.
    Parallels: Latest Build, 2007-07-17, 4560

13. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

OK, thank you for your report!

14. firebird2k

firebird2k Bit poster

I just loaded the developers preview 9A499.

I tried both the release version of Parallels 3.0 as well as the beta 5060. Both seem to HANG during the installing during running scripts(this process may take a minute). I let it sit overnight at one point. It seems to hand all of OSX and when I reboot, all of OSX appears hosed.

Is there a way to get parallels installed on 10.5 9A499?

Thanks!

PS - VMWare Fusion installs fine....

15. fenston

fenston Bit poster

What is parallels doing to destroy 10.5 installs?

Having the same experiences as the previous poster... And now I'm worried to be using Parallels at all!

I have a large number of apps to install on the 10.5 unit for testing. Many drag and drop, many using full installers... Graphical apps, CPU intensives, games, etc. And yes, both Crossover and VMware as well. Others have failed to install properly, but could be removed... Some work, but crash on save/update/etc... But only Parallels freezes during install, and produces a machine that can never be successfully booted again.

What are you guys doing under the hood to make that happen? Given how "close" the performance is, especially Parallels/VMware, I don't understand how you could be damaging the system that much more.

No offense intended, but it is worrisome. I've always been a fan - and Parallels is the only product I have a full license (non-trial) for in the virtualization space. But, if this issue cannot be resolved/addressed/etc soon, I may have to rethink that, just to have some comfort that I'm not placing my entire system in danger just by installing the product.

Running 9A499, hosed by the 5060 beta and 4560 releases.

16. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

We are aware of this issue and already working on fixing it for the next public builds.
    For now please check this KB article - http://kb.parallels.com/entry/19/501/ - it describes how to work around the problem.

17. fbronner

fbronner Pro

After you have repaired your Leopard, you might want to copy /Library/Parallels from a working Tiger install to your Leopard. That was the only way I could get it running on my 9A499.

At which point 4560 started working correctly. When I did the 5060 upgrade, it kept on purring like no problems.

18. Maclete

Maclete Bit poster

That all worked for me and I'm on the 559 release of Leopard...