How do you clear all the Windows apps from "Open With" in OS X?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by supz, Jul 20, 2007.

1. supz

supz Bit poster

I've installed the latest build of 3.0 and tried disabling all the smartselect features, and turning security to the highest level, but my OS X side still has its "Open With" menu populated with a ton of Windows apps that I don't want there.

I tried removing my com.apple.LaunchServices.plist, and rebooting, and that didn't help.

How do I get the Windows junk out of OS X?

2. sebrenner

sebrenner Bit poster

Did you ever find out how to disable smart select?

Scott

3. bobdolee

bobdolee Bit poster

If you do not need Parallels, remove every folder named Parallels from your computer, including the ones in the StartupItems. If you do need Parallells, you will find one folder that specifically houses the file associations. I think it is in the Documents folder. Sorry, I was in a rush to delete them; so, I deleted them all. All I know is, those stupid Windows programs are not in my Open With list. And that has been the tipping point. I am going to buy VMWare. Have a good day.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

You need to open the virtual machine folder, delete the "Windows Applications" folder, and disable "Share Windows Applications to Mac" under the "Shared Applications" options in the virtual machine configuration.

5. supz

supz Bit poster

That did the trick! Thanks for the pointer! :D

6. GlennG

GlennG Member

How do you reset broken global file associations?

I've removed the "Windows Applications" folders and disabled "Share Windows Applications" options. However there's still some default changes that I seemed to have made at some time that has broken things.

Vis, I seem to have changed the Mac open type for *.doc to Windos/MSWord and it needs to be Mac/MSWord. Whilst I can select "Open With" -> "Mac/Word", it still doesn't change the global default action.

How do I reset the global file associations in Finder?

Note to Parallels:
    This "Application Integration" feature is a right PITA and has spoilt the product. I'm sure a few people would benefit from this feature, most people will find it more trouble than its worth.

What is needed is a way of selecting the one or two Windows applications that I might have files saved in the Mac OS for. I don't want the global settings as it is at the moment. However it would be nice to have one or two applications -- of my choosing -- work like this (e.g. MS Access where there's no Mac equivalent, MS Money, etc.).

7. kamkaz

kamkaz Bit poster

It is still there.

I followed the all the steps and Windows applications are still there. I took a look inside /Library/Contextual Menu Items/ and that is empty too.

Any ideas?

8. kamkaz

kamkaz Bit poster

Update: I found a solution. The Windows applications were indeed removed but Mac OS X was still hanging on to them in the 'Open With' menu. I ran this command to clean up the menu:

"/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"

via: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486