Snapshot Manager Freezes

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Abernix, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Abernix

Abernix Bit poster

When I attempt to launch the snapshot manager ("Run Snapshot Manager") from any of my Parallels images it locks up my Parallels (no pinwheeling, but you can't do anything else and all of the menu options grey out). When I load the Process List, the program is not "Not Responding", it is just unusable anymore since everything is disabled. The only way to get out is to "Force Quit". I let it sit for about 10 minutes, but maybe I will let it sit longer and see what happens - but any idea what would cause this or how to fix it?

2. Abernix

Abernix Bit poster

Anyone have thoughts? This is still happening.

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

It sounds like the snapshot manager has somehow been moved off-screen. Open the Terminal application (located in Applications > Utilities) while Parallels is not open and copy and paste this into it:
    Code:
    defaults write com.parallels.Parallels Parallels.MainApp.SSManagerXPos 0;defaults write com.parallels.Parallels Parallels.MainApp.SSManagerYPos 22
    Then hit return and your snapshot manager window position should be reset and the window should be visible the next time you open Parallels and launch the snapshot manager.

4. stray cat

stray cat Bit poster

I tried that fix, but it still isn't appearing.

5. seanosteen

seanosteen Bit poster

Resetting the Window worked for me

I was able to get the Snapshot Manager to show up after running the defaults write commands in Leopard and Parallels Desktop build 5160. This is kind of annoying though. Any chance this will be a bug fix in the forthcoming Parallels Desktop release? Just a simple check of the current screen real-estate should suffice. If the window is outside of the current dimensions, then auto-reset the window location? If not, can the snapshot manager start at the default location every time?

Thanks,
    Sean

6. seanosteen

seanosteen Bit poster

Oops, I meant I got this to happen on beta build 5540. However, I just found the page to download RC build 5580. I'll try this and see if the off-screen snapshot manager is still present.

Thanks,
    Sean

7. abiallan

abiallan Bit poster

thx for the code it works for me xD

8. vellenj

vellenj Bit poster

I having a problem with the Snapshot Manager freezing my VM when trying to make a snapshot. Parallels starts making the snapshot but then it just stalls and I have to shut down my Mac and reboot entirely. I can't force quit or access any Mac apps. When the VM reboots I get the boot screen indicating that it didn't shut down properly. I can start in Normal Mode and all is fine. The only problem I'm having is with creating the snapshots. Any fixes for this? Can I make an alternate external backup on a separate disk that would help me be able to recover my VM if something fatal happens? I'm not sure if that would mean copying the .pvs file or the .hdd because I'm not really sure what difference is between those two.

Thanks for any help.

9. alwales

alwales Bit poster

I'm having the same problem as vellenj ... except the VM won't reboot, either. Instead, when I try to launch parallels, it seems to resume trying to make a snapshot. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have ...

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please be aware, that Snapshits are not using for backup, but to keep different stages
    Let say you are developers and need to test application on SP1 SP2 SP3, for backup use clone, or simple VM folder (bundle) copy to safe place