Disable Cmd-Q

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by stevenc317, Aug 31, 2007.

1. stevenc317

stevenc317 Bit poster

As a Mac user I am so use to using Cmd (Apple) Q to close a program and I have a few times hit that while in a Windows app and caused all of Parallels to shut down, forcing me to restart the virtual machine. Is there any way you can disable that key function, or better yet remap it to preform a 'close application' command to the current open Windows app.

Besides this, you guys are doing a GREAT job. Have Vista working perfectly on a Mac Pro Dual 2.0GHz with 5GB RAM. System was a little unreliable when I had the factory installed 1GB, but after a quick $350 purchase at CompUSA the increase to 5GB made the difference.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Perhaps for just coherence mode and full-screen, in Windowed mode Parallels feels like a Mac app to me (VPC days.)

3. kgraf6

kgraf6 Bit poster

This is the one feature I would love... to be able to cmd-Q to Exit a windows app in coherence...

4. toonetown

toonetown Member

Yes - Cmd-Q to quit the current windows app (when in coherence mode)

5. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Until this feature is added, here is a way to do this now:
    1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Click "Keyboard & Mouse".
    3. Select the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab.
    4. Click the "+" button.
    5. Select Parallels Desktop as the application (if it isn't on the list, choose "Other..." and locate Parallels Desktop)
    6. Set the "Menu Title" to "Quit Parallels Desktop"
    7. Set the "Keyboard Shortcut" to command-option-Q
    8. Download and install InputRemapper in Windows.
    9. Restart Windows.
    10. Click the icon in the taskbar that looks like a keyboard key and select "Configure".
    11. Right-click the "Remappings" and select "Create new remapping table".
    12. Enter the name as "Parallels Coherence".
    13. Right-click "Parallels Coherence" and select "Create new group".
    14. Enter the name as "Quit Program", the priority doesn't need to be changed.
    15. Right-click the "Quit Program" entry and select "Create new key binding".
    16. Press command-Q on the keyboard.
    17. Nothing on the next window that is displayed needs to be changed, so click "OK".
    18. Press alt-F4 on the keyboard (alt-fn-F4 on laptop keyboards). Then press the alt key again after releasing the keys.
    19. Click the "+" next to the "Quit Program" entry.
    20. Right-click on the entry under the "Quit Program" entry and select "Set temporary release keys".
    21. Press command-Q on the keyboard. Then press the command key again after releasing the keys.
    22. To make sure that you setup everything correctly, press command-Q on the keyboard. The "Input Remapper" window should close.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  6. toonetown

toonetown Member

Awesome tip! It worked great!