HASP Dongles in 10.5 / Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by crisw, Nov 4, 2007.

1. crisw

crisw Bit poster

I am running Parallels 3.0 build 5160. I recently upgraded to 10.5. Prior to upgrading, my USB HASP dongle worked perfectly. Now, I am getting the dreaded "in use by other application" error.

I have tried reinstalling Parallels Tools. I have tried not plugging the dongle in until the VM has started. Neither has helped.

Strangely enough, the HASP dongle did work one time since I have upgraded, but I do not know what I did differently (if anything) on that startup, nor has it worked before or since then.

Any ideas? Will this be addressed in the 10.5 compatibility update?

2. bforeman

bforeman Bit poster

Same problem

However; following my install of Parallels 3.0, the dongle worked fine for about 1 day and now I get the dreaded message --> used by different device. I have successfully used the dongle in Boot Camp; however I would like it to work in Parallels. Re-installing the driver or software did not work either.

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger Bit poster

How to use HASP USB Dongles with Parallels

The reason dongles are reported in use by Parallels is that the OS X HASP daemon (aksusbd) is running. The Leopard HASP installer writes a plist in the /Library/LaunchDaemons/ directory. When OS X starts up, this plist is read by the launchd daemon, which in turn runs aksusbd. If you kill the aksusbd daemon, launchd will restart it immediately. Parallels cannot access dongles while the aksusbd daemon is running.

The following terminal command will temporarily turn off the aksusbd daemon (remove the dongle first):

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.aladdin.aksusbd.plist

(You will be prompted for your root password when you do this).

Then, go into Windows, and insert the dongle. This time, when Parallels asks about the HASP dongle, you'll be able to access it.

When you're done in Windows, a simple OS X restart will restore operation of aksusbd, should you need it for your Mac applications.

4. bforeman

bforeman Bit poster

Thank you

Thank you very much for your help, it worked and I am very appreciative.

5. aoswood

aoswood Bit poster

Same Problem in 10.4.11

Is there a similar solution for Tiger? I am having the same problem. I tried this fix but apparently Tiger handles this differently.

Thanks
    Andy

6. francis

francis Bit poster

Thanks

Thank you so much Doppelganger!

This problem is bothering me since the first day of using Parallels.

It works for my with Leopard with my HASP HL E-Prime key.

Just to complete a little bit of your solution, users have to install the OS X latest driver first. Otherwise, there is no such "plist" to stop.

THANKS A LOT
    Francis CK Wong