Limited or No Connectivity in Guest OS

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by applmott, Jan 7, 2008.

1. applmott

applmott Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running a Parallels v3 build 5582 with Bridged Networking (default adapter), and all was running well until about a week ago. With no configuration changes, my guest OS (WinXP SP2) is no longer able to connect to the internet. On my parallels virtual adapter, I'm getting the "Limited or no Connectivity" message. I have read through the related posts, but I can't see anything similar. I've tried connecting with shared and host-only networking, and occasionally shared will connect temporarily, but it ends up with the same state as bridged within 10-15 minutes. Any assistance on this would be great. I don't really want to reformat if at all possible.

Thanks,

-Chris

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are you running Leopard? If so, have you tried disabling Leopard's firewall?

3. Thomasj

Thomasj Member

Have you tried disabling windows firewall?

Have your "repaired" your connection from within windows?

What IP-address does the windows connection show?

Did you recently install anything like: Norton / Zonealarm?

Let us know what gives :)

4. wuf810

wuf810 Bit poster

I also am now experiencing the same problem. been using Parellels Shared networking from the beginning without an issue.

Nothing new installed recently, filewalls all OK....

Anyone any further thoughts?

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Apple Updates perhaps?

What do you mean 'OK'?

6. applmott

applmott Bit poster

So far adding Parallels to Leopard's firewall allow rules worked... I'm not sure what kind of security risks this adds to the system though.

Thanks for the help Eru and Thomasj.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, if the VM were compromised it would allow the compromised computer to talk with Parallels... As it would if things were set up properly with Parallels modifying the firewall behind the scenes anyway.