Outlook 2002 Jumping

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Tonfelix, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

I'm working under MacOS X 10.4.11 on a 2,4Ghz MacBook Pro, Parallels Desktop 5582, Windows XP installed under Boot Camp.

Since I'm using Outlook on the Boot Camp image under Parallels (starting with 3188), it behaves strangely: in a certain time intervall of approx. 90 seconds, the calendar window jumps to the day I selected / worked on last and puts it first in case I selected a couple of days. Also, if I selected several non-consecutive days, it takes the day I worked on last as the first day of a consecutive row of days. To give examples:

In the calendar view, I selected the following days:

Mo 1.1. / Tu 2.1. / Fr 5.1. / Su 7.1.

Now I'm working on an entry on Tuesday 2.1. Suddenly, the whole display changes to
    Tu 2.1./ We 3.1./ Th 4.1. / Fr. 5.1.

Another similar problem is that if I start typing in a new date on a day in the typical calendar view (ie. not opening a new window for the new date) and that magical intervall has passed once more, the new entry is closed an a new one starts during my typing.

I hope I could make myself clear. So what is happening there? Those problems do not occur if I work on Outlook during a Windows-only Boot Camp boot, if you know what I mean.

I hope for help, since this is indeed not a killing, but rather very bothersome problem.

2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

did it happen always with Outlook in Parallels? If not, since when it started to occur?

3. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

It has always been there since I started using Parallels (3188 then), and it happens only if I use XP with Parallels - the same XP / Outlook with Boot Camp works fine.

Any chance it will be fixed?

4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

please, try to reinstall Parallels Tools in a custom way and exclude Time synchronization. Will it help?

5. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

Alicia,
    Its not possible to install Parallels Tools excluding Time synchronization, at least not in the German localized version (if I select "custom installation", Time synchronization is listed and checked, but can't be unchecked). Any other idea?
    Felix

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I am sorry for misleading you, it is not possible to exclude Time Synchronization from the installation. But it is possible to disable it:

please, run the VM, in the Windows dock click Parallels Tools Center icon, then go to the Time Synchronization tab and uncheck "Enabled" box. Reboot Windows and check if the Outlook issue still persists.

7. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

Alicia,
    Seems to work now. For me, it isnt a permanent solution though, because Im switching from MacOs to Bootcamp-XP a lot, and every time I have to correct the system clocks manually.
    Felix

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

well, try to enable time synchronization again and check if the issue occurs again. If it doesn't, leave it. If it does, please, write me back.

9. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

After activating time sync again, the jumping is back...

10. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

do you have Internet time option enabled in your Guest OS? Please, try to disable it (Control Panel->Date and Time->Internet Time).

Make sure that both your Host OS and Guest OS have the same time zones checked.

In the Parallels Tools Center->Time Synchronization tab, is option "Keep time difference" enabled?

11. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

Hi Alicia,

I am having the same problem (with Outlook 2003). It seems to me that only switching off the time syncing helps (disabling Internet time option in my Guest OS with the Host OS and Guest OS on the same time zone makes no difference).

1) Would you consider the possibility that this is something that needs to be fixed in Parallels?

2) Why is the recommended time sync 60 seconds in Parallels Tools Center? This seems to me to be very high (not necessary).

3) I noticed that highest setting in the options for Time Synchronization in Parallels Tools is 3600 - resulting in a time sync every hour. Even this seems high to me. What would you think about the option of "Snyching time after start up" - meaning whenever the VM is started - whether after stand-by or boot-in - the time is synced ONE time only until the next start up? It seems to me that this could solve the problem (=having a time sync and no intereference with any programs afterwards).

12. Bernhard.parallels

May someone of the Parallels team address my questions?

Currently, it seems to me that "Synching on start up" would be the way to do. It is actually what I do every time MANUALLY because it leads me avoid this "Outlook Jumping".

13. Bernhard.parallels

Is is possible to get some kind of feedback by the Parallels staff on this problem?????

It seems very fair to state that time sync interfers unduly with Outlook. In my case to an extend where I need to switch it off while working with Outlook. But of course, I need the correct time. Therefore, I constantly need to manually switch it on (in order to get the right time) and off (in order to have no interference) after start up.

What about someone of the Parallels saying something like this: we are aware of the problem and it will be fixed soon? And a fix to me seems to be that time sync is done ONE time after start up of the VM - meaning that this should be an option in Parallels tools.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  14. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

Alicia,

It took me a while, sorry for that.

I did, but disabling it did not help, either.

Same time zones are checked with both of them.

Yes, it is.

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

May you clarify that Windows Daylight fix is installed in Windows?

16. Bernhard.parallels

John,

I am having the same problem and I would think 'yes' that Windows Daylight fix is installed as I some weeks ago made made a clean install with XP+SP3.

If you are unsure, let me know how I can check whether it is installed.

Can you also reply do my posts? Especially to the suggestion that Parallels Tools are offered with the option that the time sync is done only once at the start up of the VM (it would mean that the VM has the exact time and that there is no ongoing interference with Outlook)?

I am running the latest update of Parallels, and I noticed that the problem remains.

17. John@Parallels

Please let me know following information
    1. Time zone in Mac and Windows
    2. systeminfo output in Windows from cmd
    3. Outlook version used
    4. BootCamp or image installation
    5. Outlook is connected to Exchange or not?, what is Exchange version

18. Bernhard.parallels

1. GMT+1/Berlin on both
    2. XP Version 5.1.2600
    2. Outlook 2003
    4. Image
    5. Not connected to Exchange

19. Tonfelix

Tonfelix Junior Member

John,

If that is update 933360, it is installed.

1. GMT+1/Berlin on both (bug also happens when in GMT+0, or when in whatever timezone Texas is in)
    2. 5.01.2600
    3. Outlook 2002
    4. BootCamp
    5. Outlook is not connected to Exchange

20. John@Parallels

OK, thanks, I can see old Outlook versions, can you please check that all MS Office updates are installed,
    As far as I remember SP3 is out for Office 2003, not sure for 2002, but you can check for updates from menu About