Nokia Software Updater

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dacarson, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dacarson

dacarson Junior Member

I am trying to update the firmware of my Nokia E50 phone. The Nokia Software Updater software correctly detects the phone and my current firmware. It downloads an update for my phone, but when it tries to update the phone, after about 5mins, I get an error saying that the connection to the phone is lost.
    I don't see the USB icon flash to indicate traffic on the Parallels Window chrome.
    I have successfully updated the phone with the same cable on a native Windows PC.

2. dacarson

dacarson Junior Member

I have just discovered that my E50 now seems bricked. It doesn't want to turn back on. Attaching the power cable does nothing. Looks like the phone is dead.

3. eelco

eelco Bit poster

Hi,

I have simular problems updating a Nokia E60 via a VM running on Parrallels.
    Phones seems dead after an interuption in the software update proces.

4. ReneS

ReneS Member

Hi,

From Nokia website:

My device "died" during an update. What should I do?

Firstly, it is normal for the Nokia device display to go blank during an update.

However, it may be that the Nokia Software Updater application has lost contact with your Nokia device and the device display is suspended.

* Disconnect the Nokia device from the PC's USB cable and remove the device's battery for 5 seconds.
    * Re-insert the battery then press and hold the device power button for 1 second.
    * Re-connect the Nokia device to the PC's USB cable and wait for 10 seconds.
    * Try the Nokia Software Updater again

If there is no response from your Nokia device, try to recover the device by formatting it:

* Press and hold the following device keys: 3, green and *
    * Press the device power button for 1 second
    * Continue to hold down 3, green and * until you hear the device start-up tone.

If there is still no response:

* Take the Nokia device to your nearest Nokia Care point. If the device is within its warranty period, Nokia will repair the device under the usual warranty terms and conditions.
    * Note: If the Nokia device is not within its warranty period, Nokia is not liable for any loss as defined within the End-User Software Agreement. See for www.nokia.com/repair details.

5. eelco

eelco Bit poster

I did lookup that information on the Nokia website I just want to warn people that updating from within Parallels might ruin your phone.

6. Andrew Barnard

Andrew Barnard Bit poster

Successful Update

I was able to update my N95 from Parallels Desktop Version 5 without any drama. I did receive a popup during the process asking whether to retain the USB connection. I chose to retain it.

7. MehdiE

MehdiE Bit poster

I've done several firmware updates on a Nokia E90 and 5800 via Parallels Desktop and it works fine. I did get the connection lost error the first time I did it but it's not a big deal. Your phone won't get bricked. Two things to know before you do it:

1) Configure parallels desktop to connect all USB devices to the virtual machine automatically. This should prevent the connection lost issue.
    2) If you get the connection lost issue and your phone appears to be dead, don't worry. Just follow these instructions and you should be able to resume the firmware update: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/supp...s_horribly_wrong_in_Nokia_Software_Update.php

8. erichpe

erichpe Bit poster

Hi,

I'm working on the project, which involves sdi over fiber extender, we're passing signal from ip camera through fiber extender and on the receiver site ip cable comes to Nokia A032 wlan access point, can we use it as switch or concentrator or it's not a good idea.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks