Parallels Doesn't Open. Just Bounces.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ZMcElroy, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ZMcElroy

ZMcElroy Bit poster

I am running OS X 10.5.2 with parallels build 5584. It was running fine and then began to experience opening problems. You click on it in the dock and it would just bounce. Eventually you haf to force quite it. After doing that a couple times it would come up. Now it doesnt come up at all. When you click on it the icon just bounces and doesnt open. I have rebooted the machine, Uninstalled parallels, rebooted, installed, rebooted, and still the same problem. I have even renamed the parallels folder in documents to parallels1 so the program wouldnt see it when it tried to open and it still just bounces. I dont know what to do and it is how i run part of my business. Any help would be appreciated.

2. adecto

adecto Bit poster

Please disconnect all LAN connection until the VM window opens.

Is not it quickly opened?

3. ZMcElroy

ZMcElroy Bit poster

It doesnt open at all. Its not that it doesnt quickly open it just bounces for awhile and then it stops bouncing and nothing happens.

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Open the console, and check if you get error messages when you try to start it.

5. bcx

bcx Bit poster

I have the same problem. The console gives me this:

2008-03-11 19.14.35 [0x0-0xbc0bc].com.parallels.desktop[4007] QFSFileEngine::eek:pen: No file name specified

2008-03-11 19.14.36 [0x0-0xbc0bc].com.parallels.desktop[4007] Parallels Desktop 3.0 critical error! Send log file ( /Library/Parallels/bugreports/parallels-fault-191436.110208.4007.log ) to reports@parallels.com

Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem. Last month my Parallels worked just fine. Since I reinstalled it the day before yesterday things are not that good anymore.

I run Mac OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook and use Windows XP Professional through Parallels.

6. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Have you sent the log file to parallel?

Do you have snapshots or sharing enabled? If yes, try removing them one by one to see if you can isolate the culprit.

7. bcx

bcx Bit poster

I haven't sent the log file to Parallels yet.

If by sharing you mean OS X File Sharing, it is disabled. I don't know how to turn of the OS X snapshots. I have been taking snapshots since my last reboot, could that be a problem? However, if you mean some other sharing or snapshot please let me know.

How can snapshots or file sharing create a problem for Parallels?

Thanks for your reply!

8. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I meant the parallel snapshot so you could go back to an older version.

You might also have some damaged file in the parallel install. Try running the uninstall and rebooting, then doing an install again.

9. bcx

bcx Bit poster

The problem might be connected to rebooting. I uninstalled Parallels, rebooted my computer and installed it again. First I tried launching it and it worked 9 times out of 10. That is how I want it to be.

Then I put my computer to sleep mode and woke it up again. When I then launch Parallels it works fine again 9 times out of 10.

However, when I reboot my computer and try to launch Parallels it just bounces in the dock and wont start.

When Parallels launches (direct after install and sleep mode) the console gives me this:

2008-03-12 11.53.24 [0x0-0x19019].com.parallels.desktop[284] QFSFileEngine::eek:pen: No file name specified

After reboot I receive the same error message as I wrote in a previous post.

How do I use the snapshot function? I'm not familiar with it.

Again, thanks for your replies!

10. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

Are your VM machines located on the hard drive inside your computer or on an external hard drive?

Snapshots are available in the Parallel menu under the Action menu. Snapshots are basically a picture of your machine when you took the snapshot. You can return to any snapshots. This is interesting when you want to try a new software. You take a snapshot, then you install and try the software. Once you're finished playing with it you go back to the snapshot.

11. bcx

bcx Bit poster

My Parallels is located on my internal hard drive. This question made me curious about my Windows XP disc which I have as an ISO-image. When my Parallels is freshly installed this ISO is mounted and Parallels works just fine.

However, when I reboot my computer that ISO is no longer mounted and then Parallels wont work at all. So a few minutes ago I mounted the ISO with Toast and tried to launch Parallels, and guess what? Now it works.

What happens is that the first try it wont launch and gives me Ignore/Report/Restart window. When I press restart it launches like it should!

The console gives me this:
    2008-03-13 09.17.51 [0x0-0x41041].com.parallels.desktop[692] QFSFileEngine::eek:pen: No file name specified

I'm glad that it works better now, I see this as if the problem is solved. Of course it would be nice if I knew what the problem was about and if Parallels launched like it should each time. However, now it's at least working! Maybe I'll go for "If it's not broken - don't fix it" from now on, and be happy that it works.

I will definitely look more into snapshots. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  12. fbronner

fbronner Pro

At a guess, I would think you have the parallel session configured to be using the mounted drive as the windows CD. Check to make sure the parallel CD is pointing to the Mac CD instead.

13. bcx

bcx Bit poster

Now it works like magic! Thank you for your help!