installing parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by hendrick, Mar 12, 2008.

1. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

as installing windows XP sp2 didn't work on leopard (parallels 2.5) i started searching on the dutch and belgian usersites to find a solution. no one could give any solution and i wasted lots of time and energy.

bij installing a trial version (probably 3.0) installing windows XP sp2 worked, although i wasn't satisfied. it used to work better.

now, as the trial period ended, i de-installed parallels with the original CD-ROM and tried to install 2.5,but it didn't work at all. no progress was noticed by installing parallels.

remaining questions:
    how can i get rid of all remaining files of parallels in order to start clean;
    (then it shoud be obvious how to install 2.5)
    how to install windows XP sp2 and then "palm" software and "dragon" naturally speaking.

if you have better solutions please inform.

running a macbook pro.

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Hendrick,

Launch the Uninstall Parallels Desktop application (you can find it on the Parallels Desktop CD or in the downloaded Parallels Desktop DMG package) and follow the on-screen instructions. Please note that Parallels Uninstaller does not remove virtual machines from your Macintosh hard disk. It is important to use the Uninstaller of the Parallels Desktop version currently installed or newer.

Delete these folders, if they can be found in your system:

/Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    /Applications/Parallels

You may also need to delete the following files (it is recommended to restart your Macintosh computer before deleting them):

/System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsvnic.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext

If you do not manage to install Windows from a CD-Rom, you can create an ISO image:

1. In the Finder, browse to Macintosh HD - Applications - Utilities. Choose Disk Utility.
    2. Insert the source CD-ROM, the image of which you want to create, into the CD/DVD-ROM drive of Macintosh computer.
    3. Select the CD/DVD-ROM drive from the Disk Utility device list.
    4. Click the New Image button on the top of the Disk Utility window.
    5. Specify the name and location for the image or leave the default settings.
    6. Set Image Format to read-only.
    7. Click Save and wait till the image creation process is complete.

Now you can connect this image to the virtual machine’s CD/DVD-ROM drive:

1. Launch Parallels Desktop.
    2. Click the CD/DVD-ROM icon in the main Configuration window to open the CD/DVD-ROM drive’s settings.
    3. Select the Use image file option and click Browse to locate the ISO image file.

You can use a successfully created image file as a bootable media for the guest OS installation instead of a real CD.

Have you encountered any problems with installation of "palm" software and "dragon" naturally speaking?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

none of the files were found on the macbook.

as parallels was uninstalled, then how is it possible that it refuses to install? is it because of the trial version that is a later version.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hendrick, what error message do you get when trying to install Parallels? Could you let me see a screenshot, if possible?

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

please iorm how to make and add a screenshot

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Hendrick,

Look here on how to do a screenshot on Mac;
    To attach a file on the forum click "Post reply" red button, find "Manage Attachments" button under the field where you type your answer, click the button, browse to the screenshot and click "Upload".

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

i made a shot of the whole series of steps. after the last shot it stops to function, nothing happens, although the system indicates that there is a program installing

could only get text here, sorry.

there were no indications that anything went wong, no messages at all.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  8. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

so this is where it ends

hope that i don't have to make a complete reinstallation to get rid of this s h i t.
    is there no solution at all. i made the step to a mac bcause it was no problem to continue working on windows applications, and there are many programs that are very good and do't run on a mac.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hendrick, Parallels engineers would like to get more details to investigate your issue. For the moment we can not understand what exactly the problem is.

Could you describe step by step what you do and what happens?

We would appreciate if you could attach some screenshots to clarify the situation.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

step 7 and then it stops

this is where the story ends

no strange steps noticed until step 7

Attached Files:

11. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

installing and therefor also launching parallels fails. al steps were made and everything stops at the effective installment of parallels. please reply.

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Hendrick,

Please try the following. At the moment of freeze, open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities) and execute the commands below:

cd /Volumes/Parallels\ Desktop/Install\ Parallels\ Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources/

sudo ./preflight

Parallels Desktop installation is supposed to be finished properly after this.

Best regards,
    Xenos

13. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

it indicates no such file or directory

did't work

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hendrick, you should type the command cd /Volumes/Parallels\... in one line. Please copy the command into a text editor, put gap instead of carry-over, paste it in Terminal and press Enter.

Run the second command after that.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. hendrick

hendrick Junior Member

thanks for this fantastic advice. parallels works.

also installing wp xp sp2 worked out well, although it appears to be installed twice. first version is not working. is there a solution to delete the first one without harming the second?

then, final question, how can i import from a stick that i can read from my mac but not from the xp.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Hendrick,

I've just sent you a letter on the address you used to register on the forum. Please send me the boot.ini file from your virtual hard drive. A Parallels engineer will modify it to delete the first Windows installation. See the details in my letter.

You can share the USB device through User-defined folders in Configuration Editor, Shared Folders section. This way you will get access to the files from Windows side.

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

It pays to save all your data on the Mac side in shared folders

and from parallels file menu
    clone your VM when it is working well

!!! at once !!!

as a back up to an external hard drive

I have two external back up VMs which I update weekly after running utilities

see my older posts or search forums for
    hugh housekeeping

I am a very happy user after nearly 2 years with Parallels Desktop for the Macintosh

Hugh W