We Need Even More 3D Gaming Performance! Benchmarks included

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by MacGamer404, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

I have conducted two CINEBENCH benchmarks:
    1) Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 ( 2.5GB RAM - other 1.5GB were taken by virtual machine )
    2) Parallels Desktop 7 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ( Hard drive: 128GB; RAM: 1.5GB, CPUs: 8 )

The testing machine is Macbook Pro 2011 with i7-2720QM quad core Sandy Bridge CPU and AMD Radeon HD 6750M GPU.
    All the programs were shutdown before the benchmarks, and AMD Radeon GPU was selected using gfxCardStatus.

Summary:

1) CPU, CPU (Single Core), CPU MP ratio:
    The difference between CPU benchmark results was very small: from 5% to 2%.
    That means Parallels Desktop 7 has excellent CPU optimization.

2) OpenGL, OpenGL Reference Match:

The OpenGL Reference Match results were the same - 99.30%, which is a good news.

However, the difference between OpenGL benchmarks was really disappointing:
    while Mac OS X result was equal to 39.02, the Parallels Desktop 7 achieved only 20.01 - nearly 2 times worse!
    Maybe it is a good result for Virtual Machine, but for those people (like me) who uses VM as a replacement to Boot Camp,
    it does not seems so.

Please, put more efforts in Parallels Graphics Drivers development and optimization!

2. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

The great improvement of graphic drivers

I have conducted new CINEBENCH benchmarks today with a new version of Parallels Desktop 7 - 7.0.15055.740667
    All the other parts of testing environment are the same as in previous time, just one exception: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 version.
    All the programs were shutdown before the benchmarks, and AMD Radeon GPU was selected using gfxCardStatus.

Summary:

1) OpenGL Benchmark:

Mac OS X results: 38.87 (0.5% worse, don't know why)
    Parallels Desktop 7 + Windows 7 Ultimate results: 28.79 (vs previous 20.01)

The benchmarks results are 1.5 times better than in previous time (1.44x, if to be specific),
    and only 1.35 times worse than Mac OS X results - while earlier they were 2 times worse!

That graphic drivers improvement is really outstanding! Congratulations, Parallels Team!
    If it will continue in such a way, no one will need Bootcamp for gaming anymore! ;-)

2) CPU Benchmarks and OpenGL Reference Match:
    The results are the same as in previous time.

3. WilliamPaul

WilliamPaul Member

Hi MacGamer404,

I too agree with you they should put more effort in optimization and graphics driver development