Parallels VM to Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by digitalcore, Feb 24, 2012.

1. digitalcore

digitalcore Bit poster

Is it possible to migrate a Parallels VM to Bootcamp?
    Not Bootcamp to Parallels VM.

So that. its possible to boot into bootcamp AND also user parallels.

Thanks.

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

It is not possible to migrate Parallels VM to BootCamp by any Parallels means. And i am not sure if any third party migration software can help you cause Boot Camp must be installed in a certain way.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You'll have to use a 3rd party cloning app that is compatible with with macs (GPT) which is something of a rarity, I think Paragon has something like that. But beware, this can be a rather technical procedure, there are two hurdles here, first is the difference in hardware for Windows and secondly is the GPT partition table. I won't provide instructions for it because there are too many things that can go wrong, except saying that you should backup and that it's probably easier to install from scratch in bootcamp and migrate your data.

Edit:
    Here it is: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/features.html

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can run Bootcamp Assistant.app and let it create the adequate partition scheme, next boot into bootcamp with the windows CD and format the partition with NTFS but no need to install, finally let the cloning app restore to this partition, it's all doable, really, just a bit complex.