Losing network connection in Windows VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Brown, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Junior Member

My system now routinely loses it's network connection after my system is idle for about 30 minutes. I've checked my settings and can't find anything that would cause this to happen. Any ideas?

2. Bruce Brown

By the way, this has been happening since the first build of Parallels 8 that indicated it was safe to perform an upgrade to Windows 8 and I'm currently running Build 8.0.18345 which is the latest.

This was never an issue until I upgraded to Windows 8.

3. Bruce Brown

Bump. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

4. bcrawfo2

bcrawfo2 Bit poster

Guest loses network connection

Periodically (maybe after the host sleeps), the guest loses access to the network.

From the guest:
    I can release and renew my address using ipconfig /release and /renew.
    I can't ping by name nor address. I don't receive an arp response (at least windows doesn't populate his arp table).
    If I go to another host on the network, I do get a correctly populated arp entry for the guest...correct IP->Mac address mapping.
    If I go to another host on the network and do a packet capture for traffic from the guest, I see the arp requests from the guests trying to find the arp of a host...and the guest is sent a response. The guest still doesn't populate the arp.

My configuration...
    Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac...Build 7.0.15107
    The guest is Windows 7-64bit
    I'm using the default adapter in bridged mode.

Any thoughts??

5. Chris1319

Chris1319 Bit poster

Same problem with Windows 8

I'm having the same problem. Windows 8 x64 with Parallels 8.0.18354

6. Chris1319

Chris1319 Bit poster

Same problem here. Windows 8 x64 upgraded from Windows 7. Running Parallels 8 8.0.18354

7. Bruce Brown

I've been through a couple of other updates and am currently on Build 8.0.18354 (Revision 823166; December 4, 2012) and I still have the same problem.

If I'm not running Parallels I never lose my network connection.

My Windows clock also loses a few hours overnight and has to catch back up and it's done that since the upgrade to Parallels 8 and through the updates since.

8. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi guys,

Does your Windows Virtual Machine lose the internet connection, or your Mac loses it when your VM is on? Does it happen only after being idle for some time?
    Please reproduce the problem and post your problem report IDs here: http://kb.parallels.com/9058

9. Bruce Brown

Mine loses connection after being idle - I thought for a time it was when the VM went to sleep but there are many times that when it's been idle for a short period of time I don't lose the network connection.

I never lose the network/internet connection on my Mac side it's only on the VM.

This happens literally every single day so next time it does it you just want me to use the "report a problem" function?

10. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Yes, Bruce. Please post the ID here.
    Also - what kind of virus protection do you have on Windows? Do you notice the same behavior when it's off?

11. Bruce Brown

Not sure if this will do you any good because I had to manually get my connection back before I could generate the report to send but here is the number: 20893892

12. Rob0426

Rob0426 Bit poster

Same Issue

Same issue. If I leave VM running for a length of time (overnight always) then network loses connection to Internet in VM.

I have a new 2012 iMac w OS 10.8.2. Latest version of Parallels 8 with a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 VM. The network disconnects on the VM only (works on Mac side). I have to either shutdown and then restart VM or Disconnect and then Reconnect manually using Parallels Network tool in tray.

Could this be related to a power savings setting/shutdown within Mac or Windows VM?

13. BanditoB

BanditoB Bit poster

I've also experienced this behavior under Parallels Desktop 8 running a VM with Windows 7 64-bit. In my case, the VM's network connection is lost when my 15" Retina MacBook Pro goes to sleep every night when I close it to take it home. When I come into the office the next morning, whether or not having used the MacBook at home, there will be no network connectivity for the VM.

I used to restart the VM to regain connectivity, but eventually stumbled onto the fact that if I use the network tool at the bottom right of the VM window to switch it to Shared Network mode for a couple of seconds and then switch it back to Bridged Mode with the Default Adapter, network services are restored to the VM.

Also, when troubleshooting with Parallels, we found that this problem only occurs when in Bridged Mode with the Default Adapter selected. If any of the other adapters are selected, such as the virtual NICs, the problem goes away and the sleep/wake cycle works as expected. Also, if you're in Shared Networking mode there is no issue there as well.

My understanding is that Parallels is working on this problem, but I'll submit a troubleshooting report in the morning when it's stuck again and post the ID number here.

14. BanditoB

BanditoB Bit poster

I submitted a problem report this morning while the VM had no network connectivity. It is report no. 21248119.

15. CesareW

CesareW Bit poster

The issue on mine is even worse: Until recently, it was working fine, but now I lose my internet connection after a few seconds of being online on with Windows VM side. I am able to connect as usual for a few seconds (sometimes even a few minutes), but then it loses the connection. My Mac OS still has full connection, and IE indicates that "It appears you are connected to the Internet, but you might want to try to reconnect to the Internet."

Conveniently enough, everything was working fine until the update just before Parallels 8 came out.. Is this just a crash ploy to force ppl to upgrade to the latest edition, or is there an actual fix?

I am running a Macbook Pro
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
    SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Parallels
    Build 7.0.15107
    (Revision 796624; September 3, 2012)

Windows XP - Media Edition

16. GarethMorgan

GarethMorgan Bit poster

I've had the same issues for quite some time but despite posting a problem it's still there. Parallels 8 and Win 7 Ultimate. The connection is fine on the Mac but I have to restart the VM to get it back there.

17. reedmj

reedmj Member

I'm having the same issue, and this post stuck out since I have almost the same exact hardware configuration...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
    SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

I do however have PD 8.0.18354 and a standard WinXP config. Everything else is very similar.

I started a thread at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=281526 before finding this thread. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this.

18. reedmj

reedmj Member

incidentally if anyone that's having this problem thinks Parallels is the only one having issues with this... it turns out Fusion 5 has the same issue.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2193812#2193812

It definitely seems that Mountain Lion is causing a lot of issues with Virtualization products.

19. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

just started happening to me. for no reason, the VM loses network connection, but the mac seems to be fine.

today i have 2 VMs running and they both lost network connections at the same time in the middle of doing nothing.

doing an ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew seems to fix it for a bit.

20. Brian Korblick

Brian Korblick Bit poster

This also just started happening to me, after running various versons of Parallels with Win7 for years. Am currently on 8.0.18354. I'll keep watching this thread, my wife hates OSX so I really need to get her Windows working again! ha