Shared Folder always shows 4.29 GB of available free diskspace

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ITinfrastructure, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ITinfrastructure

ITinfrastructure Bit poster

My host os is Mac OS 10.8.2 and my guest os running in the vm is Mac OS 10.8.2 as well. I use Parallels Desktop for Mac 8.0.18354.

My only shared folder in the guest os is "Desktop" from the host os. There is about 50GB of free disk space on the hard drive of the host os but in the guest os it always shows only 4.29 GB of free disk space in the shared folder. If I want to copy a single file from the guest os to the host os that is larger than 4.29 GB it gets denied because apparently there is not enough free disk space available.

I connected a external hard drive to the host os and shared a folder to the guest os. The external hard drive has 900 GB of free disk space. In the guest os the behavior is the same. It gets displayed as 4.29 GB of free disk space available.

Anyone any ideas or similar issues? Any solutions?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate all the work of you helpers here!

2. ITinfrastructure

Does anyone have the same problem?

I was not able to find a solution yet. If you have the same problem and you have not found a solution yet, please let me know as well and post here.

If you have the same configuration as I do, I would very much appreciate it if you could check your config and let me know.

Thanks!

3. ITinfrastructure

After hours with the technical support of Parallels

I just got off of a remote session with the parallels technical support team. I was on the phone for over 4 hours in two remote sessions where the problem described above was analyzed.

This is the outcome after over 4 hours of talking on the phone and remote sessions:
    Currently if you use OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion with Parallels Desktop 8 and run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion as a guest operating system there is a hard coded limit of 4.29 GB of free disk space for shared folders even though these shared folders might offer more free disk space at that time. This is a known issue with Parallels Desktop 8 running under OS X 10.8 Mountain Lions and only affects the guest operating system OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion right now. Within all versions of Windows, shared folders offer the total amount of free disk space available. There is currently no workaround. Even mounting the virtual hard disk file with the Parallels Disk Mounter does not give access to the files within the virtual machine at this time. The only way to transfer a file from the virtual machine to the host operating system that is larger than 4.29 GB is in attaching a USB external hard disk (external Firewire hard disks are currently not supported), mounting it as a USB device inside the virtual machine and then copy a file up to the size of the free disk space on the external hard disk to the external hard disk. From the external hard disk you will be able to copy it back to the host operating system.

If this was in there internal documentation they could have provided a solution and explanation within 5 minutes.

I am very surprised that nobody reported this issue before me. According to the parallels support nobody reported this issue before (even though it is known to the Development Team), and I was not able to find any complaints about this on the internet.

If you run into the same issue, I hope that this forum entry will find you and you get a quick an accurate explanation without having to contact the Parallels Support Team and stay with them on the phone for hours.

IMPORTANT: If you run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion as a host operating system and currently run a virtual machine that is running OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, I would very much appreciate it, if you checked on only 4.29 GB being available on all your shared folders with the host operating system and external hard disk that share folders with your guest operating system over the Parallels Desktop 8 shared folder feature.

I hope all that helps and I am grateful for every response to this entry!

4. briansk

briansk Bit poster

I don't know if this is related, but I'm running 10.8.2 as host and guest OS. My Shared Folders always becomes inaccessible from the guest OS after some time. The only way I can get the shared folders working again is to restart the guest OS. It might be related to the amount of data being written to the shared folders. I'm wondering if this happens after writing 4.29GB to the shared folders.

5. ITinfrastructure

This happenes to me randomly as well. Usually after a few tries, it works again. The message I get says something like "you do not have permissions to access this folder". Can you please check, if it says 4.29 GB free disk space on all of your shared folders within the guest os as well? That would be extremely helpful. After that kind of service from the hotline, I don't trust them anymore.

6. briansk

briansk Bit poster

I get a similar message, but I am not able to restore access to the shared folders without restarting.

Via the Finder, it says 4.29 out of 4.29GB used.

Via the shell:

$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 63Gi 8.4Gi 54Gi 14% 2277147 14257396 14% /
    devfs 202Ki 202Ki 0Bi 100% 700 0 100% /dev
    map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% 0 0 100% /net
    map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% 0 0 100% /home
    prl_fsd@prlufs0 4.0Gi 0Bi 4.0Gi 0% 0 4096 0% /Volumes/SharedFolders