4-port Keyspan Serial adapter: Can ports be shared between OSes?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by unithom, Jun 19, 2006.

1. unithom

unithom Bit poster

Hello,

I have searched the forums and seen a number of conflicting reports about Keyspan hardware.

I have the model USA49 which is a 4 port adapter. Currently two of those ports are in use by OS X (one of them is PowerChute from APC to my UPS.)

When I tried the SerialClient app, even though I specified only 'port 3' on the KeySpan, as soon as I hit Connect, my PowerChute instance told me it had lost contact with the UPS on port 2. So I am not thinking that is a workable solution.

From what others have described, the Keyspan driver apparently grabs all four ports at startup, even if you don't have them 'open' per se to do stuff with them. So that's why trying to connect Parallels to /dev/tty.USA49W5d1P3.3 as COM1 said the port was already busy.

So I'm guessing that installing Keyspan XP Pro drivers in the guest OS wouldn't do me much good without uninstalling the Keyspan drivers in OS X, and that's not the direction I'm trying to go in.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might convince it to allow port 3 to be shared with the guest OS as COM1, but leave the other ports alone? (Is SerialClient still my best hope, but just need to make a feature request to leave other ports alone?)

Thanks,

Thom Brooks
    Chicago, IL