1 XP license, or 2?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ccparallels, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

I purchased a MBP with Boot Camp preinstalled for extra, hence it also included a license of XP (and I have the OEM media for it). Now that I've learned about Parallels Desktop for Mac, it seems worthy to get the best of both worlds.

I was originally curious if Parallels would just pick up the partition that Boot Camp created but now I understand that Parallels will not currently use the partition that Boot Camp created. So, I obviously need to reinstall XP again.

My question is then whether I have to purchase another XP master from somewhere first, or whether the XP license I got covers the XP that will be install for use under Parallels?

If it matters any, I have not yet activated the XP that was installed via the Boot Camp setup.

2. tomlogic

tomlogic Bit poster

No, you shouldn't need to purchase another license if you're not going to use XP with Boot Camp. Try installing XP under Parallels with that media and serial number. I'm pretty sure that the OEM media only differ from retail XP disks in that an OEM serial number will work with it.

3. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

I expect that we will be keeping the partition created through the Boot Camp installation process. The question then is whether the same CD can be used for installing both onto the same [physical] machine. If we keep the partition created via the Boot Camp process, I obvious don't want the Parallels version to cause it to become deactivated or something like that, especially if it being an OEM version matters any.

I have just searched and found a few hits where folks seems to have called up MS and gotten new activation numbers, but it wan't clear if the MS person on the other end really knew what was behind the request, or if say automatic updates would end for the Boot Camp'd XP, etc.

4. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

You should be able to use the same license for installation within Parallels. For the second activation you will have to call Microsoft and explain. The second activation request should be granted.

[​IMG]

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

Some OEM windohs have a 1-2 CPU licence. Check your licence sticker.

One person using their purchased product on one machine should be able to do what you wish to do. So that makes it o.k. to fib to microswift. If you have to ring, just tell them the motherboard, memory and hard disk had to be changed after a power surge condition due to a lightning strike.

6. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

As much as I may not like some of the outcomes, I am not interested in fibbing. For better or worse I am trying to get a more official response from my vendor and from Microsoft on this. It's going to come to it sooner or later anyway. I will post here when or if I hear something more concrete.

7. detayls

detayls Junior Member

The one to two CPU license is for a single installation of XP on a machine with either one or two CPU's. It is not a license to install on two different single CPU machines.

8. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

I have seen a few posts on this (sorry no links...) but it seems that Microsoft support are aware of this (at least to some extent) and will help you install (without you having to resort to lying) as long as you emphasise that you are installing the OS again on the same machine.

H

9. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

I've seen some of the posts too, but I am not at all clear that XP is truly licensed as such or not. If so, I believe we should get official word, and if not, we should still know, so as to apply pressure in the right places.

10. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Well, at least one MS rep says, in public, that if one intends to keep a Boot Camp'd XP and an XP ala Parallels going on the same machine, then one license will NOT cut it.

I think this is a huge non-technical issue, especially if Apple or Parallels make it so that a second installation is not required. I dunno but this is probably a new licensing aspect which has never been needed to be addressed before, it can also be possible the MS rep has not been informed about this yet, so anybody interested, or if I explained something wrong in the MS forum, please chime into http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=542188&SiteID=25 Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  11. constant

constant Forum Maven

Like I said, the easiest way forward is to do a little creative explaining.

If all creative explanations went into a pool, Microswift would have a much, much, much, deeper one.

12. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

It should be now problem since bootcamp & parallels run on the same hardware. So you are in compliance with the license which states that it may be installed on only 1 machine at a time.

Whether the people at MS will understand it, that's a complete different ballgame.

13. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

The problem is that Parallels establishes a second logical machine, at least as I understand it., So "same hardware" may be open to interpretation. Anyway, please feel free to post at the MS forum I posted a link to above. No matter if the MS person is wrong, the lawyers wanted to enforce physical and logical machines, etc. if this can be hashed out in public in their forum with their people, I think this can be to all our benefit.

14. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I just don't see an issue here.

You are installing Windows XP on a single computer. There is no possible way that both your "install images" can be run at the same time.

This is not a grey area.

The license authorizes you to install XP on A SINGLE COMPUTER.

It's like if you set your PC as a multi-boot PC...you can certainly install the same copy of Windows in each boot partition since you are using it on the same PC. In a multi-boot mode, you can not run two copies at the same time either (I wouldn't know why you'd want to anyways).

Same thing here.
    XP is being installed on A SINGLE COMPUTER.
    You can not run two copies of XP at the same time.

All this "licensing" stuff is a bunch of foo foo anyways. You bought the software and should be able to use it as you see fit and not be restricted because of terms in a document that most regualr joes can't understand. You are not making copies and giving it away. You are not making copies and installing it on other computers. You are installing it on a single computer. Don't over think this thing....it'll drive you crazy. :rolleyes:

15. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

I wish it were as simple as this. I certainly want it to be. Unfortunately there is wiggle room, if but for now other reason than that the activiation mechanism thinks there is more than one machine.

I've already posted about more than one installation on the same drive in the MS forum, since apparently the Windows license deals with more than just "Single computer".

As to what licensing means in general, I'd rather not go there for now. In the meantime, I think any efforts over on the MS forum are worth it, so please post your perspective there too.

16. ccparallels

ccparallels Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  17. mcg

mcg Hunter

This is not a surprise to me. Parallels is not introducing any new wrinkles into the licensing model here. After all, VMWare has been around for a LONG time, so they've had to deal with virtual machines for a lot longer than Parallels has been around.

18. constant

constant Forum Maven

The only two definates in this equation:

1. Microswift will squeeze every last licencing cent out of you suckers.

2. We all know the easiest way forward.

19. aplnub

aplnub Member

Just tell them you replaced some hardware in your comptuer and bam, they hand out a new ID. I am not paying for two versions of Windows on the same computer. It is the same computer!

20. constant

constant Forum Maven

That's exactly the point.

IT'S THE SAME COMPUTER.

Microswift will do whatever they can to bleed people.

If it doesn't suit your cause, don't tell the them the truth. They don't deseve it.