Windows 64 bit OS Network Card - No Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RoboBeer, Nov 25, 2008.

1. RoboBeer

RoboBeer Bit poster

I installed Parallels Desktop 4.0 build 3540 yesterday on a Mac Pro (2 quad core xeon 3.0GhZ CPUs with 16GB RAM) running Mac OS X 10.5.5 Server. I tried installing a 64 bit Windows OS and Device Manager (Windows) cannot install the network card because it doesn't have appropriate drivers on the install disk. The installation program will not let me continue to the desktop until the network is functioning (Windows criteria). I cannot, therefore, complete installation and noodle the problem inside a functioning OS.

Your literature states that card is a RTL8029 based card. I could not find 64-bit drivers for this model. RealTek's website states that 64-bit drivers are not now and will not in the future be available. How/where can I find drivers for MS Small Business Server 2008 64-bit OS? Better yet, how can this problem be solved?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please install the Parallels Tools using menu "Virtual Machine"->"Install Parallels Tools".
    It will install the very fast networking driver among with many other features.

Please contact if you have troubles installing the Parallels Tools.

3. RoboBeer

RoboBeer Bit poster

I tried. Not successful. The VM is not at the desktop stage and the mouse becomes trapped in the VM. Other ideas?

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I've attached the network drivers for Windos Vista/Server 2008 to the topic, but it could be useful if you could tell us more about problem with installing tools.

Was there some error while installing?

I'd want to ask you to send to us some logs. Could you please post me via private message your mail? I will create a support ticket.

Attached Files:

5. RoboBeer

RoboBeer Bit poster

Elric,

Thanks for replying so soon. The installation routine for MS Windows Small Business Server 2008 works as follows. You boot from the DVD and answer a few questions. The system runs the installation routine and reboots. After the reboot a windows pops up guiding the rest of the installation. You do not see the desktop yet. The "Wizard" asks to check or change the Date & Time settings. The next screen informs me that there is no network present. The choices presented are to open device manager for manual installation, cancel the wizard shutting down the computer and check the network. The check the network link (presuming a functioning network) allows the Wizard to move to the next stage. At no time during this process is possible to finish the installation and deal with the unconfigured hardware at a later stage, as is possible with Windows XP.

The problem, as I see it, is that the Mac Pro running OS X 10.5.5 Server is 64 bit and SBS 2008 is only 64 bit. Is the hardware abstraction 32 bit? Are the drivers you attached 64 bit?

Thanks again,
    Robert

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Interesting.. I have never installed Win2008 myself, so can't say anything so far...

Yes, drivers are for 64bit Vista/Win2k8

7. RoboBeer

RoboBeer Bit poster

Elric,

Those drivers did the trick. I had to reinstall SBS 2008 and add them manually.

Thanks for replying so promptly. Windows go figure!

Robert

8. Joe N

Joe N Bit poster

Installing the Network Adapter Driver

Just a quick add on to the discussion above:

You will need to put the driver provided into an .iso in order to be able to install it.

I used the Mac Disk Utility to put the provided .zip file into a .cdr image. From there, I use the following command line commands to create the .iso:
    cd ~/Desktop
    hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o Master.iso Master.cdr

From there, you can use parallels to mount the .iso as the active CD, and, then, Windows can find the driver files.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

One more thing:
    For Parallels Desktop 5.0 (at least for version 9310) the network drivers should be also located in the iso-file of ParallelsTools, in the root

10. kat

kat Product Expert

11. kat

kat Product Expert

posted the above in the wrong thread sorry