Error 1073807364 when installing Parallels Tools in Win XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by discman92651, Dec 1, 2008.

1. discman92651

discman92651 Bit poster

Today I updated to the latest version of Parallels 4.0 for Mac. The update went find, and when I opened up my Win XP session, it sensed that I needed to update Parallels Tools and it began doing so. But after 45 minutes of hanging at what looked to be the end of the install, I could tell that the install was just hung up. So I killed it and I received the error message "Installation has been finished with error code 1073807364". I have tried to re-run the install several times, but I get the same error message. After I kill off the hung up install process and try to re-run it, the install gives me error code 1500 saying that a previous install is still in progress, which it is not...because I had killed it off already.

I have looked inside the Control Panel to uninstall Parallels Tools, but it is not listed there...probably because that part of the install never finished. So I cannot uninstall and reinstall it cleanly.

What now? Please Help......

David.

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

3. discman92651

discman92651 Bit poster

That worked.....indirectly, but it worked

I did download and run the msicuu2.exe as you asked. At first, when I went to install this tool, it actually gave me an error 1500 saying that there was another instance of this program already running an install (ironic). So I rebooted my virtual machine and tried it again. This time the msicuu2.exe did indeed run through and install properly. But when I went into this new tool to use it, it also had no reference to the aborted Parallels Tools install to cleanup. So I went ahead and ran the Parallels Tools Install again and this time it actually went all the way through and installed cleanly to the end. So while running the msicuu2.exe itself did not help, I guess having installed it to begin with made the regular install of Parallels Tools work.......so I consider this issue now resolved thanks to your suggestion.

Thanks!!

4. mightye3

mightye3 Bit poster

I experienced the same problem - after I updated Parallels to the latest version, it wanted to upgrade my Parallels Tools. I cannot get through the install process of Tools now. The progress bar goes to the end but the install never finishes. Performance is horrible in this machine now, it can take 10-15 seconds to switch between open windows, and even when the guest OS is idling at 1-2% CPU, prl_vm_app in the host OS is running 160-180% (Mac Pro 8-core)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools, which I had previously had to do when I first upgraded from 3 to 4 in order to get Tools to finish installation. After the first uninstall of it (from Add/Remove Programs), it no longer shows up in Add/Remove to try this again.

That's when I came here and found this thread. I tried the suggested tool, msicuu2.exe, but Parallels Tools is not an option in the list it provides, so I don't have a good way to clean up the install.

Tools seems to be part-way installed; my mouse moves in and out of the guest OS fine, and I can open shared apps. I can't resize the window, and display seems to be very slow overall. I also can't copy & paste between guest/host.

I'm at the end of my rope here, I am rapidly running out of time to be able to work on this; and as it stands right now, the only way to get the work done I need Parallels for is to do so in VirtualBox or Parallels 3.0 on my laptop (which is dramatically under-powered for what I need). So any help would be much appreciated, I'm glad I didn't upgrade that too.

5. mightye3

mightye3 Bit poster

P.S. I created support ticket 632083 for this.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I have answered in ticket now, please check

7. mightye3

mightye3 Bit poster

Having looked at c:\windows\temp\parallels-tools-install.log, it looks like the parallels-tools install was hanging up on installing the network drivers.

I shut down my instance, removed the network card from the guest OS configuration, and after this, Parallels Tools installed successfully. I shut down again after the tools install completed, re-added the network card to the configuration, and started back up so that all things are normal now as far as I can see.

8. wickwood

wickwood Bit poster

Same Problem, finally fixed...

I had the same problem and was referred to this thread by a Parallels tech support.

I had to install this deinstaller/cleaner-upper app a few times as the Parallels Tool installer still hung-up on me after the first and second run. The third time I ran the MS deinstaller twice before trying to reinstall Parallels Tools.

Finally fixed.

I sure hope this is not a problem for the Vista Virtual machine I have running. This took hours of my life!

9. Alan Dick

Alan Dick Bit poster

The link has been removed

I recently got the same error message when upgrading to Parallels Desktop 5. I logged a support enquiry and was directed to this thread. However, according to Microsoft the clean up file has been removed and can no longer be downloaded. What should I do now?

Also, on a completely separate note, I logged into Parallels yesterday only to find that my mouse won't move outside the guest window. The only way to get back to the Mac desktop is to close Parallels. Is this also related to the fact that I don't have Paralells Tools installed?

10. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Google for "Windows Installer Cleanup utility" to find a download alternative. You should get a file called msicuu2.exe, date: Nov 13, 2008, size: 359,656 bytes.

To get the mouse back when you don't have Parallels Tools installed, press Control and Option at the same time.

11. Alan Dick

Alan Dick Bit poster

It hasn't solved the problem

I managed to find a version of the clean up file and downloaded it. When I ran the programme it told me that there was an install of Parallels Desktop paused which would need to be rolled back. So far so good. However, after rolling back the installation and trying to install Parallels Tools again I got the following error message:

"Cannot install this hardware.

there was a problem installing the hardware:

Parallels Paravirtualization driver

An error ocurred during the installation of the device. The specific service has been marked for deletion."

When I OK'd the error message it rebooted the virtual machine. On login windows tried to "install video controller (VGA compatible). When it couldn't find the drivers it kicked me out.

I still can't get Parallels Tools to install.

What do I do now?

12. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Use the Windows installer disk to do a repair?

13. BitsAndBytes

BitsAndBytes Bit poster

Same issue here. I've submitted a problem report to Parallels. After initial install of PD6 no problems. All worked. I got an auto-update October 22 2010 and after starting a virtual machine Windows XP-Pr., same error. For now I've turned off auto-update on PD6 main menu and when the VM is started and the install tools window pops up (stay at your machine until this happens) I cancel the install before it will start automatically. Hope this is fixed soon !

BTW: I would encourage everybody who has this problem to submit a problem report. This will help put some priority on solving the bug (patch please).

14. JWildfire

JWildfire Bit poster

I've run in to this problem a few times and unplugging all USB devices and turning off airport seems to help me get through the install. Might just be a coincidence, but it's worth a shot.

15. fokm

fokm Bit poster

My solution

I had this happen to me twice. And was able to fix it.

I set up a different hardware profile in my XP VM so that not every single device would be running, thinking it would improve startup times. Since doing so, I was always unable to install/upgrade Parallels Tools.

The solution for my situation was to select the other user profile at startup.

My guess is that the install for Parallels Tools runs across disabled hardware and doesn't know what to do. Either way, it's seems to be an issue with hardware configuration when this error occurs.

16. MisterAl

MisterAl Bit poster

3 Hours led to this solution

After spending significant time reading this thread and others the following solution worked for me. Not sure all items play a roll in the ultimate resolution but your welcome to try various combinations.

1. Disable anti-virus
    2. Remove all USB devices
    3. Disable airport
    4. Parallels Desktop > Devices > Network 1 > Disconnect
    5. Disable anything running in Windows system tray except clock, speaker, power indicator

Hopefully the Parallels team will figure this out for future releases.

17. Marc Bernstein

Marc Bernstein Bit poster

I think MisterAl has the best solution

After this happened to me for the first time after many upgrades over the last two years without issue, I submitted a ticket and was sent to this thread. After reading all the way down, I decided to try MisterAl's solution (the post immediately preceding this one). It worked like a charm. No Microsoft cleanup utility was required for me.

One thought I have, based on what changed on my computer since the last Parallels upgrade just a couple of months ago, is that it was one of three things which caused the hangup.
    1. Running in bridged vs. shared networking. I used to run in shared. I now run in bridged.
    2. Installing Citrix GoTo meeting which runs in the background
    3. Installing DropBox, which runs in the background.

Anyway, the following steps fixed the problem.

1. Turn of Airport (never used to be a problem, but easy to disable)
    2. Remove my USB Keyboard and mouse (they never used to be a problem, but it was easy to just unplug them)
    3. Remove my external monitor
    4. Turned on my Windows XP VM.
    5. Turned of programs running in task tray that were new since last upgrade (GoTo Meeting, DropBox).
    6. Turned off Windows Defender...not because I thought it was a problem, but because it's Monday morning and it was doing it's scan, which just slows the system down.

Since my Parallels Tools had last been aborted, it won't start automatically, s I went to the Parallels menu option of Virtual Machine, Install Parallels Tools.

It started up and ran straight through, finishing in about 2 minutes, maybe.

MBP late 2008
    8GB Ram
    Windows XP VM

Parallels Build 6.0.12092
    (Revision 670880; June 26, 2011)

18. johndoe

johndoe Member

unfortunately, this solution cannot work for me, because the Parallels VM that i have was blessed and distributed by our IT department, and it has the anti-virus built in. so i get stuck at Step 1.

(and, also unfortunately, i still had Parallels paid support at the time this first happened. i say unfortunately, because i contacted them, and they persuaded me to let their tech support use a remote-desktop-client to poke around in my VM and see what was going on. as i watched these clowns, they started turning stuff off that they shouldn't have been turning off. the most unprofessional behavior i've ever been a part of. i immediately shut down the session!)

fortunately, i discovered a separate solution, which takes a little brute force:

1) as the Parallels Tools updater starts, also simultaneously start Process Explorer (it is a substitue for Task Manager).
    2) show processes in hierarchical display
    3) watch for the activity and popping up of dialog boxes as Parallels Tools Updater goes through it's paces.
    4) when you get to the dialog that comes up immediately before the "Rolling back changes" dialog
    4a) go to the Process Explorer window and find the process for the dialog under the Updater process
    4b) kill it.
    5) repeat (4) until the tools are fully installed.

this allows the Parallels Tools Updater to complete, and allows me to get back to work!

19. Marc Bernstein

Marc Bernstein Bit poster

I think it was DropBox that caused it for me

I ran into the exact same problem AGAIN with Build 6.0.12094. This time, I disabled things one at a time, while the tools update was "hung". The last thing I disabled was DropBox from my task bar. When I did that, the tools update picked back up and finished.