Media Player in IE and Parallels 4.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rogerinlondon, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon Bit poster

I have just uppgraded to 4.0, build 3810, and have problems to run video streamed using Windows Media Player embedded in Internet Explorer. First I only got a green screen and after having reset IE, I now have no colour. The video is either BW or completely tinted in various colours.

It works fine in Windows XP Home under BootCamp so I assume the problem must be some setting in Parallels? Any ideas?

My system is a MacPro, Leopard 10.5.6 with ATI Radeon X1900 XT Graphics card and 10GB of RAM and I have 256MB of Video memory in Parallels with 3D acceleration enabled.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. Pthagonal

Pthagonal Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem, Parallels 4.0 Build 3810, Windows XP Professional (virtual HD installation), Mac OS X Tiger, MacBook Late 2006, both Windows and Mac OS X with all the recent patches.

I'd appreciate any hints as to what could be done to solve the problem (or whether the latest Parallels build is buggy)!

3. Pthagonal

Pthagonal Bit poster

... and to add more information about this problem, I have tried the possible solutions a Google search for "windows media player black white" turned up, which mostly boiled to ticking or unticking options on the Windows Media Player Options -> Performance -> Advanced tab, but to no avail.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Set video to less than 256 mb
    Check for codecs
    1. Minimize hardware acceleration level in display properties.

Right click on Desktop -> Personalize -> Display Settings -> Advanced
    Settings -> Trobleshoot tab. Put hardware acceleration level to zero.

2. Set Color in Display Settings to 24 bit making hardware acceleration
    set to maximum.

5. rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon Bit poster

Thanks. That seem to be working, although I think your instruction must be for Vista. Where do I set hardware acceleration to maximum in your point 2 in XP?

Will I need to enable hardware acceleration again in the future, depending on what applications I might be using and what does it actually mean?

6. John@Parallels

7. rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon Bit poster

Almost, yes. Where it is called Personalize in your point 1 in Vista (I assume), it is Properties in XP. I still do not understand what you mean by your point 2. Do you mean to go in as in point 1 again and reset the hardware acceleration again?

8. John@Parallels

-Yes, it is
    -point 2 is after disabling hradware accelaeration you are back on Advanced tab -set Color depth to 24 bits, default is 32

9. rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon Bit poster

Ok, and after putting color dept to 24, I enable headware acceleration fully again?

10. Pthagonal

Pthagonal Bit poster

Disabling hardware acceleration did it for me.

But this seems to be just a workaround, after all, it had worked previously. So what is the source of the problem -- is it Windows XP or Parallels?