Windows 7 Beta 1 on Parallels Desktop 3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by brilang, Jan 13, 2009.

1. brilang

brilang Bit poster

I've been able to get Windows 7 Beta 1 installed in a Parallels Desktop 3.0 VM. Unfortunately, I am unable to install the Parallels Tools on this machine.
    First I get an AutoPlay message asking what to do with the "CD" that was inserted when I told the Parallels to Install the Parallels Tools. Then I get a User Account Control message asking permission to run PrlTools.exe and I clicked Yes. The Installation wizard starts and then crashes with an Error:
    How do I get Parallels Tools installed on Windows 7 Beta 1 on Parallels Desktop 3.0?

2. lindy370

lindy370 Bit poster

From reading everyone else's comments on this topic, it appears that Parallels 3 does not support Windows 7. I believe you are supposed to attempt to install parallels tools manually. So far I haven't had success with this.

3. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

brilang, lindy370,

Windows 7 is not supported in Parallels Desktop 3. You can check the supported operating systems in your user guide.

4. Lapwolf

Lapwolf Bit poster

I successfully install Windows 7 Beta on Parallels 3.0 (build 5626). I set up the virtual machine as Windows 2008 Experimental and installed Parallel Tools manually by changing the properties on the setup executable to run in XP compatibility mode.

So while it may not be supported, it does work...

5. wmrovert

wmrovert Bit poster

How exactly do I change the properties on the setup executable to fun in XP compatibility mode?

6. Lapwolf

Lapwolf Bit poster

When you attempt to install Parallel Tools you will be presented wit ha choice of running the setup or openin the setup files with Windows Explorer. Choose Windows Explorer and right-click on the setup executable (I believe it's called Prttools), select properties, and and then select Windows XP compatibility mode.

7. Salamat

Salamat Member

Magic! Well done! Any success getting built in iSight to work?
    Salamat

8. Lapwolf

Lapwolf Bit poster

I never use the built-in iSight in Windows under Parallels...

9. brilang

brilang Bit poster

Lapwolf is correct. I used this same method to be able to install the Parallels Tools.
    Once installed though, you will need to set the Compatibility mode to Windows XP on the Following applications as well:
    1. C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\ParallelsToolsCenter.exe
    2. C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\SIA\sharedintapp.exe

After doing this, and installing all available Windows Updates, I have full use of my Windows 7 Beta 1 VM including sound.

@Salamat: I don't believe that the iSight plays nice with Windows. I looked into it a year ago, and found people talking about downloading drivers from the internet, and I tried some of those suggestions at the time, but was never able to make it work. Since it wasn't that important to me, I stopped trying.

10. Salamat

Salamat Member

I do have iSight working in PD3 with an XP installation. I am getting it showing as installed on my Win7, but just not working. Will have to try the additional 'compatability' changes that you suggested and see if that makes any difference.

Salamat

11. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

12. PrateepR

PrateepR Bit poster

I just installed the current Windows 7 RC to Parallels 3 (Build 5638) - these instructions worked great - thanks!

I was pleased to see Coherence works even though I read another thread that said otherwise.

It seem the latest build of Windows 7 (Build 7100) was able to install the driver required for the iSight on our iMac without having to resort to the Leopard install DVD. I will note that it did go through 2 cycles of trying to install a hardware driver and it does report it fails the 2nd time - anyone know what this is given my iSight works? (tested it with Skype)

Overall, I'm a happy camper ^_^

13. Chinarut Ruangchotvit

Chinarut Ruangchotvit Junior Member

apologies if this is a duplicate post...it isn't clear if my last post went through...

I just wanted to note these instructions worked great! I successfully installed Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) on Parallels 3 (build 5638)

I was pleased that Coherence works even though there is reference in another thread it may not work - it does.

I also was pleased to see that the iSight on our iMac after connecting it to the VM (via USB) didn't require me to run anything off the Leopard install DVD. However, I want to note it did go through 2 cycles of driver installation - seemed to work the first time and the second time failed - anyone have any insight into what is happening? At the end of the day, my iSight works (tested it with Skype) so we're happy campers :)

14. AmberB

AmberB Bit poster

How to install Windows 7 in Parallels 3.0

Hi all, here's how to install Windows 7 in Parallels 3.0.

First, you need the latest build of Parallels 3.0 (5638). You can also only install the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

When creating the new Virtual Machine, select Express Install for Windows Vista. (Vista and Windows 7 are both based on the same kernel). Go ahead and input your Windows 7 key in the Parallels Install window.

Then, of course, follow the above instructions for installing Parallel Tools manually. I personally selected Windows XP Service Pack 3 for the compatibility mode of Parallel Tools.

Next, check for critical Windows 7 updates (update.microsoft.com). And keep checking; right now the updates are sequential, so it's one-at-a-time.

Attempting to install Kaspersky from the Parallels software caused an error that required System Restore to reboot my computer due to a non-compatible driver. I personally abandoned Kaspersky and installed AVG Free.

Now I just can't map my Mac desktop to the Windows 7 desktop. The Windows 7 couldn't connect to the network. In fact, I get the error message, "Windows cannot access \\.PSF" Any ideas?

15. AmberB

AmberB Bit poster

Solved?

Ha, solved my own problem eventually. Sort of. I couldn't quite figure it out but somehow I was able to get a new shortcut with the correct settings to work. I don't know which settings were the magical ingredient, but see the attached photos for a side-by-side comparison. Hope this helps for those of us who are normally lost!

Attached Files:

16. KyleS

KyleS Bit poster

Is there going to be a fix for Kaspersky in Windows 7? I get a msg that the driver will make Win 7 instable so it will not install. Thanks.