WPA and 802.1X WiFi connectivity is broken (10.4.8)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eg82, Nov 9, 2006.

1. eg82

eg82 Bit poster

Hi all,

After installing Paralles on my MB (2.0GHz, 2Gb, 10.4.8) I have issues with Airport. Symptoms are quite simple, I would say. Whenever I stay home at my WEP encrypted wireless and install Parallels it works seamlessly until the moment I come to my work where we have WPA protected wireless (802.1X, TTLS/PAP). Whenever I connect the following error message appears: "WPA Authentication Failed. Error: 9 on port en1." No success. After the rebooted it fail to pick up any WPA or WEP protected wireless, though it seems that unencrypted wireless works fine. Meanwhile, the dmesg report the following line after I try wireless number of times:
    SIOCPROTOATTACH_IN6: en0 error=17
    SIOCPROTOATTACH_IN6: en1 error=17
    SIOCPROTOATTACH_IN6: fw0 error=17
    (91: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:
    (91: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:
    (503: aped)tfp: failed on 866:
    (503: aped)tfp: failed on 1440:

The worst part that uninstalling Parallels does not restore wireless, it stays broken. Therefore I was forced to reinstall the whole system. Credit should be given to Apple with their Archive&Install which saves me tremendous amount of time to get my desktop back.

Well, being a scientist I repeat experiment again to make sure that it is Parallels that breaks my wireless. I made sure that it works without Parallels installed and then I installed it. Guess what? Indeed, wireless is broken. So I have to reinstall my system again second time within two days. Steve Jobs gonna turn grey :).

Anyway, just to point out that I got the same problem after upgrade from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8 when I had Cisco VPN installed. After few tries with it on 10.4.8 I spot that it also breaks my connectivity too.

Anybody else experience similar behaviour or know the solution.

Evghenii

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Evghenii,

I can't think of a reason why uninstalling Parallels doesn't recover your system (under assumption that Parallels is at fault). Have you used Parallels uninstaller from the .dmg? Have you tried rebooting your MB after uninstallation? Not just restarting from the menu but completely powering it down (by holding the power button). Is it possible that you've installed Apple updates after Parallels but neglected this?
    If you don't mind some more experimentation lets try to narrow down the problem.

3. eg82

eg82 Bit poster

Dear Paralles Team,

Thanks for promp reply. Indeed, I tried lots of things, reboot, shutdown zipping PRAM and so on. I made sure that no updates were installed. But symptoms were the say - 2 reinstalles within two days. Now I work on freshly reinstalled Mac OS and have no problem to connect wirelessly. I do not mind to experiment if this eventually will solve problem.

I can report the following:

Reinstall Mac OS X from original DVD (10.4.6) via Archive & Install
    Update to Mac OS X 10.4.8 and rest of the software via software updater
    Update to to new X11 which is only seen @ 10.4.8.

Check that everything works, including wireless - and it does.

Install parallels use ready-to-use snapshot with Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, play some games under wine and then reboot machine again - wireless dead.

I am quite confident that I did not install any apple updates after installing parallels. Therefore I am inclined to blame parallels. I may carry out few more experiments by the end of the week just to confirm once again the abovementioned behaviour. The reason is that I would like you to understand that every experiment cost me complete system reinstall which is about 1h, I would say. Hence it is really nice to know what we are looking for, but I do understand that without experiments or some extra information we will not be able to do so. Hence if anybody experiences similar problem could he or she report experiences.

Meanwhile, I would like to point out that the same behaviour was observed when I install Cisco VPN on 10.4.6 and updated to 10.4.8 - the same problem with the same errors.

I still have previous system copy as done by Archive&Install and I can look into particular files if you tell me which ones.

Please fell free to contact me either via forum or via e-mail so that we can resolve this problem. Could it be a hardware issue.

Regards,
    Evghenii

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

If as per your statement, the same results occur AFTER upgrading from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8, how can the problem be Parallels? Maybe I misunderstood.

What happens in 10.4.8 WITHOUT installing Parallels?

ajm