Parallels for Mac review using new MBP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by blhseawa, Nov 28, 2006.

1. blhseawa

blhseawa Bit poster

I purchased and just received a 17" MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 3 Gb ram, 160 HD.

Here is my experiences the good and the bad.

Number one missing feature USB 2.0, Number two missing feature IEEE1394 (Firewire) support.

Steps of the process.

1) Downloaded Parallels Desktop for Mac (build 1970).

2) Get Trial key (3 dyas left, and I need to make decision!)

3) Attempted to install Windows XP Professional, but boot failed with No device available message, even after I verified the option selection for CD-Rom.

4) Anyway, after surfing the web, I decided to reset the MBP's NVRAM. This worked.

5) After using Parallels Easy Install for Windows XP and resetting NVRAM, the installation of Windows XP went flawlessly. Installed XP Service Pack 2, Office XP Professional (2002), PC-Cillian anti-virus software all flawlessly. Installed Parallels Tools. All worked well. :)

6) The only major negative is that the video driver resolutions is very limited on my machine, and attempts to change it result in a screen so large I can't do anything with it, and the VM is basically useless. That said, if I leave the video at 1024x768 default, chosen by Parallels/Microsoft(?) works great.

7) I have no problems with this Windows XP VM using the the default video mode. This allows me to use Microsoft Office for corporate and post graduate work.

8) Next tried to install Fedora Core 6 from DVD iso image, and all I can say is that this was a very unsuccessful. First problem is keyboard mapping appears broke, screen resolution was so large that most of the viewable area was off the screen, add the video driver was unable to display the X11 graphics window correctly, either frequency or other graphics configuration not correct. :confused:

9) Next attempted to install Suse Linux 10.1, same experience as Step 8. However, as result of this, it appears that is caused problems for Parallels, because trying to launch Parallels, Parallels crashed my MBP hard (reboot).

10) After surfing the web, I took the following actions, I changed Parallels VM configuration to prohibit auto-launch feature, and then I deleted the Fedora Core 6 and Suse Linux 10.1 folders and emptied the trash. Restarted the MBP and was able to start Parallels and bring my Win XP VM up.

11) I then tried to install Kubuntu 6.10 from an iso CD-Rom image. To my surprise, I had to chose other linux 2.6 kernel option, it installed fine. I then tried to change the video around and was greet by a window so large I could not do anything with Kubuntu. As I continued to try to adjust the screen size Parallels crashed my MBP again! Ugh!:(

12) I deleted the VM and emptied trash!

13) This time I opened Parallels application but I did not start my Win XP VM, and I re-created the Other Linux 2.6 kernel VM and re-installed Kubuntu 6.10 from iso CD-Rom image, everything proceed as expected, I just ignore the PCI error message that every version of Linux 2.6 kernel presents at start-up, and the installation ran successfully. This time I left well enough alone and have resigned myself to living with 1024x768 screen (window) size. I then installed Samba and the Samba file system. Configured Samba, but it does not seem to work very with MBP HFS+ hard disk. Interestingly enough, it works fine against the Win XP VM. Oh well, another issue to deal with. However, at least now I have realized my dream, I have Mac OS X as my native OS, and Win XP guest in 512 Mb of ram, and Kubuntu 6.10 Linux (KDE) in 256 Mb running just fine.:)

14) I run Parallels with 1024 Mb of ram, I have the CD- Roms configured, but not connected, I removed the floppy disk from both VM as it just doesn't make sense for my needs.

15) At work I run VMware Workstation and Server products, so my comments about performance are strickly subjective, I have not run any bench marks as that is besides the point. I find that both VM are very response, however, occasionally, the mouse and keyboard seem unresponsive for about 30 seconds when I switch back to the Mac OS. I haven't been able to devise a repeatable sequence of events.

16) Now, turning my attention to Parallels GUI, there are some bugs which surprise me for a released product. For example, when you create a VM, Parallels ask you for a name which it promptly ignores and uses a hard-coded lower-case folder name instead. (i.e., I named my Win XP VM WinXP Pro, and Parallels chose winxp for the folder name, the configuration name and the hard disk file name. I chose Kubuntu for my Linux VM and Parallels chose lin26 for the folder name, the configuration file name and the hard disk name). So, the worst part is name displayed at the top of the window of each running VM is the folder name. I have just one question. Why ask me for a name at all? Launching the second VM is anything but user friendly. I'm going to stay out of the whole dock debate, and just say I would like to see a better way to launch VMs. Secondly, I would like to be able to review the VM configuration of a running VM.

17) If you are only interested in running Windows on the Mac, then Parallels is a great product. If you want want to also running Linux on a Mac, Parallels needs some help, because in my opinion, it isn't there yet. While I was able to get Kubuntu configured and running, I was unseccessful with every other distro I tried. Your mileage may be different. Remeber, I'm reporting on my experiences. I have not had the same problems installing various Linux distrros on VMware. Note, I'm not a gamer, so I can not comment on using the Win XP VM for games. I'm a software developer who specializes in media work, video and audio, and no, I don't do DRM or streaming, I focus on media production, DVDs, CDs, etc.

18) So, would I recommend Parallels? That is a tough question because I have to make a buy decision in the next couple of days. I'm leaning towards yes, if only because Parallels does support Windows XP pretty well for my needs. I was able to install both VIsual Studio 6 Professional and MSDN library, and Visual Studio .Net 2003 Professional and MSDN library and both applications seem to run reasonably for me. To a large extent, I've realized my dream of running the three OS's at the same time on a single box. In the past, I've need two or three machines to run all of the OS's I wanted to run. So, from that perspective, Parallels makes sense. Perhaps, more importantly, Parallels is the only game in town right now for the MBP. Yes, I am aware of VMware's Fusion, I even have a copy, but this a production machine in every sense of the word, and I just don't have the courage to try it. But, at the current price I'm leaning to supporting Parallels even if I switch later, first counts for something, who knows Parallels may surprise me yet.

19) I hope my comments help others.

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

3. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Not sure why you are having so many video related problems. I have a MBP and have been running Parallels since Beta 3 and have not had any of those problems. And I freely switch from 1024x768 to full screen to custom resolutions in between w/o problem. Perhaps something is unique about your instalation. But I can tell you that hasn't been my experience nor the experience of many others on this forum.

Now printing, USB, firewire .. those are legitimate problems.

4. sray

sray Bit poster

You can resolve your video problems by:

1) Creating several video resolutions that work on your screen in the edit VM window
    2) Run Windows and then try resizing from full screen; it should work

We have 13 laptops running here with Parallels. No problems with video resizing.

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I run Vista, XP, OpenSuSE 10.1 with an oracle server, Kubuntu and all of them work very well.
    Of course not all of them at the same time.

SuSE, Vista and XP run in 1152x768, Kubuntu runs in 1024x768. When at home, I plug in another monitor to my MBP (2.0GHz, 2.0Gb, 120Gb) on which I run either XP or SuSE full screen, and I must say; I'm impressed by how well it runs.

Actually a lot better then running my thinkpad on 2 screens at the office...

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

Have a look at your settings: Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> User Interface
    Under full screen settings, checking the top box but not the bottom box works for me.

7. blhseawa

blhseawa Bit poster

Thanks for the tips!

sray,

thanks for the video tips, I try it and report back.

As an aside, my MBP is one of thee just released Core 2 Duo versions so there may be some video / EFI changes.

Another note, I'm able to run Parallels, Win XP Pro VM and Kubuntu VM at the sametime as noted in my post above. Other than for the items I've already posted, it has been running flawlessly.:)

I'm becoming fond of Kubuntu 6.10, for a KDE based Linux distro, I think they have done a very nice job.

If I find fixes to any other issues I'll post them.

One final, comment for MBP newbie's like me (I've had Macs for a long time, but this is my 1st Book). The keyboard function keys where not working in Windows XP for me, until I found an option in System Preferences, which if checked, requires the 'FN' to generate system functions rather than software functions. Anyway, once I checked that box, the function keys behaved as expected (by me) in Windows XP.

8. jesse

jesse Bit poster

I have a Core 2 Duo as well and haven't had any issues with the video on XP. I use it with both the laptop screen and an external monitor and it automatically adjusts the resolution for me. No special settings. I've been very impressed in general with the product...

As a previous post mentioned, I would check your video settings and make sure the top box is check under "Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> User Interface -> Full screen settings". The bottom box shouldn't matter whether it's checked or not.

Good luck...

9. blhseawa

blhseawa Bit poster

quoting from another post by Marko

I found this in another post about video and found it to be good explanation of video options.

I think it is worth posting here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marko
    1) Launch Parallels
    2) At the Guest OS Properties page at the bottom select 'Edit'
    3) This Opens Up The Preferences for the Guest OS.
    4) Under Video add a new resolution size 1024x768
    4) Click OK to close Guest OS Preferences
    5) Click Save to save Guest OS Properites
    6) Start your OS
    7) At the OS Desktop (Windowd mode) Right Click on the Dekstp and select Properties. This opens up Display Control Panel.
    8) Select Display Control Panel Settings Tab - and set you Windows mode Screen Size to say 800x600. Click Apply and then Close Display Control Panel by clicking OK.

So Now when in Windowd mode you Guest OS Desktop will be 800x600, but when you switch to Full Screen mode the desktop will be 1024x768

I should add that if you want to match the current resolution of your screen (ie for all those widescreen users) so that Parallels in Full screen mode has the same resolution...

1) goto system preferences
    2) select Display and write down what resolution you are currently running under MacOSX.
    3) Use MacOSX resolution size now under the Parallels VM Video Setting (VM Properites Page) ie instead of the 1024x768 resolution I sugested above.

If you are stuck in windowed mode and cannot see the WinXP Task Bar at the bottom as you have chnged your MacOS X resolution of added a Secondary monitor etc... right click on the WinXP desktop area and select 'Properties'. Now change your WinXP Display resolution (Windowed mode resolution) to something a bit smaller.

Now to sum up...
    Setting up Video Resolutions under VM Properties you will set your Parallels Full Screen Mode resolution.
    Changing the WinXP Desktop resolution only affects you Parallels Windowed Mode Resolution.
    Last edited by Marko : Today at 08:02 PM.

10. blhseawa

blhseawa Bit poster

Anwser to Fedora Core 6 thanks to hans-dampf

I have successfully installed FC6, and here is what I had to "hack"

- FC6 installs the xen kernel by default, which crashed in PD. -> You have to install the normal kernel.
    - RHGB (X server) did have a messed up resolution. -> You have to set your resolution in xorg.conf

To accomplish these two steps, boot into rescue mode after the installer reboots the firs time. To do so, enter "linux rescue" at the installer prompt, choose your language and keyboard, configure your network card, and let the installer mount your FC6 at /mnt/sysimage.
    When you have done so, enter "chroot /mnt/sysimage".
    Now you can install the kernel by entering "yum install kernel". After the kernel is installed, you can change the line "default=1" in /boot/grub/grub.conf to "default=0" to use the non-xen kernel as default.
    To have a correct display, I added the line
    Modes "1280x800"
    (change 1280x800 to whatever resolution you like) beneath the line
    Depth 24
    in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Now reboot your system and voila.

11. macwinuser

macwinuser Bit poster

Full Screen Issues

I've tried all of the suggestions listed here and I still am not able to get both video that fills the screen AND allows access to the Start Menu and Icons at the top of the screen.

I can get 1024x768 resolution, but I have black space around the screen in Full Screen mode, ie; it does not fill the screen.

I am stumpted to the point of wondering if this is a semantics issue in this discussion thread whereby the meaning of 'FULL SCREEN' is a workable 1024x768 resolution, but it does not FILL the screen, ie; black space is being accepted as normal for Parallels in Full Screen mode.
    I am aiming for 1440x900 resolution that will FILL the MacBook Pro screen and allow access to both the bottom Start area, and the top area where icons are located. However whenever I attempt to fill the screen with a higher resolution, both of these areas are off the screen.

Any clarification would be helpful at this point. Other than this big disappointment with parallels, everything else seems to be fine.

12. bill e

bill e Bit poster

Windows XP too big to see Start button - this worked for me

Hello,

Sorry, new user here, so be patient if this has already been covered. I installed XP and Red Hat without a hitch. Trouble was my XP window was so large that I could not see the start button or the taskbar, i like to see the taskbar. To fix this, started my windows VM, hit the Apple key to bring up the Start Menu, opened Control Panel, Opened Displays, went to the Settings tab, switched the screen resolution to 1280 x 800 and it works like a champ.:eek:

Hope this helps someone

13. dsteed

dsteed Bit poster

regarding TOO LARGE SCREEN RESOLUTION, running Solaris on OS X 10.4.8, i found the following- parallels builds in optimal full screen resolution, so if you are a little slow like me, you see CDE or other window environment start, and assume it is unuasable. you only have to switch to full screen and the world is then beautiful again. what does NOT appear to work, are the custom resolutions. still working on that one...