Help - can't see my windows network- Wireless

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Tom Savel, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Tom Savel

Tom Savel Bit poster

Hi all. Sorry if this is a dumb question...but I'm not sure what to do, and I could really use your help.

I'm running 3094 Beta 2 - on my MacBook - using Boot Camp. Things are running very smoothly. :)

The kicker is that I have my Airport as a subnet off a Linksys wireless router-based windows network. I have the emulation set to "Bridged Ethernet" en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter.

I assume I'm out of luck...as the the two networks can't see each other...right?

Tom

tgsavel@hotmail.com

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

When you use "Bridged Ethernet" en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter Parallels emulate VM with such mac address.
    I think settings of your router doesn't allow access to the network two computers with such mac address.
    Please use Shared Networking or investigate router's settings.

3. Tom Savel

Tom Savel Bit poster

Thanks very much.. I've learned that I could go in and change the ip addresses the airport extreme gives out - but I'd rather not mess with things.... as they are working very very well. If I'm desperate to print, I'll just run boot camp. Great product!

Tom

4. Tom Savel

Tom Savel Bit poster

Hi all,

Ok... so i changed my network around (removed the linksys).... and want to know, although its not, if it SHOULD work. My only goal is to be able to use my other XP machine's HP printer.

My setup:

I'm using Parallels 3120 from Boot Camp partition with Bridged Ethernet setting on a MB
    It connects to the internet, wirelessly, with no problems
    I have a separate PC running XP- with an HP printer connected to it. The PC is connected off the Airport Extreme LAN port.
    the VM and the PC have appropriate IP addresses, and have the same workgroup names.

When i try to add the printer - it doesn't even see the other PC. Do i need to put the linksys back in, connected to the Extreme?

Of course, boot camp isn't too thrilled with the setup now... now that i have removed the linksys.

Oh, it would be so great if i could get this working......

Regards,

Tom

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

One solution that has worked for some folks is to change the MAC (not Mac) address in the VM so that it is different from the Mac's MAC address since some routers treat two machines as being the same if their MAC addresses are the same. I had this problem. Another thing to check is make sure that the computer names of the Mac and VM are different. One or both of these may allow your router's DHCP server to see them as two machines and assign two IP addresses (which is required).

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Are your netmasks set up to that everthing can see everything else? If not do you have static routes set up so that the routes are visible to each other?

7. Tom Savel

Tom Savel Bit poster

Well, I must say... I have solved the problem for my specific needs..... in 3 words:
    Bonjour for Windows.

thanks everyone!