Problem with networking

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jpoaps, Jan 10, 2007.

1. jpoaps

jpoaps Bit poster

Hi Guys
    new to the forums...Anywho...i am having some issues with networking....basically getting the internet to work...Here is my issue...I am running a Macbook running parallels with a WinXP VM. Most of the problem is at the college i go to. Basically i plug into the network. The internet works fine in OSX. I start my VM and try to browse the net but it cannot browse the net (on the VM). Hers the catch... the internet is not working in the VM AND in OSX (When the VM is running) but When i disable the network adapter for the VM the internet starts working again in OSX. I got it set to bridged networking. I tried changing it to shared, but the options are grayed out.

PS: im hard wired into the network, not wireless....i did disable the wireless adapter

Any Help Appreciated....Jeff

2. marcn

marcn Bit poster

similar problem

In general, I've been able to access the Internet w/o any problem within my guest OS (Win2K), but over this last weekend I couldn't get it to work at all when I was logging on via T-Mobile wi-fi at a Starbucks. Even after shutting everything down and re-booting.

Anyone have any idea why that would happen in that environment, when it doesn't happen in other wi-fi environments?

marc

3. leejsci

leejsci Member

Same issue here

Brand new MacPro (3 weeks old) and got the Beta3 - 3106 yesterday.
    I have installed and uninstalled least 3 times (including VM - winXp) since then.
    Does not matter what network configuration I use. either I get 0.0.0.0 or 164. X.X.X IP address (self assigned). I have had installed the Parallels 2.0 or was it 2.5 (retail - trial version and network worked fine with Sharing), I remember seeing in the network port configuration, ports were created by parallels, but with beta nothing.... MAC's internet is working fine, and I, too, have disabled the Airport.... any insight will be greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you!

4. kthovy

kthovy Bit poster

Same problem

I have exactly the same set-up. My internet connection is sitting on another computer on the network. If I stay in the OSX I can connect nicely using the IP adress of the computer with the internet connection as the gateway. Then I start the VM and can also connect nicely. But then I stay with the VM (not connecting to the net) and just use it to network files on the server and use the OSX to connect to the net and the network connections just bomb out. I then have to restart the Mac to restore. Very frustrating. Any help out there with this?

5. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

Though the parallels installer doesn't tell you to - you should restart the computer to allow the networking changes to work properly. I would try doing an uninstall, reboot, re-install and reboot again. you can check your osx network system settings and look for any of the adapters that have a red dot by them, meaning something isn't working.

bridged mode makes the guest OS act as if it was a totally separate machine and does not seem to work in all situations - especially hotels and such where you have to authenticate before you can connect. I can imagine a university might have a setup that would also not be compabible with bridged mode.

shared mode works essentially as an internal router for your guest OS w/ it's own DHCP and NAT. if OSX has a connection, then the guest will generally always work. however, shared mode does not usually work with VPNs and other special network connections.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  6. jpoaps

jpoaps Bit poster

Yes its gettin annoyin, heh....Does anyone know why the shared networking mode would be grayed out?

7. leejsci

leejsci Member

You could chose share networking from Device --> Network -->Share Network then you will see that share network is selected if you look at the settings from VM edit, but network still did not work for me...

8. sakuragicho

sakuragicho Bit poster

Solution to greyed out shared networking

Just did a clean install of my system and also reinstalled RC1. I had also the gryed out shared networking button. Restart did not help.
    I looked then into the OSX Network settings, there I had to activate the two newly installed Networkadapters from parallels.
    Now everthing in the VM Configuration page works fine.
    Christian

9. atort13@mac.com

atort13@mac.com Junior Member

I have the exact same thing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times and cannot get this to work. I reboot and nothing. I have no clue where to go.

10. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Atort13

Good moring to you. Have you try to use typcal install when you install guest OS?
    before you do that go to your osx network preference, make sure you see en2 and en3.
    set your location to automatic and see if you can get the green light on en2 and en3...
    I have 3106, and it seemed to correct the issue for me...
    once you have installed guest OS, make sure to update.. it will correct alot of issues as well.
    Good luck.

JL

11. Adonis

Adonis Bit poster

I can't seem to find these two things or I am looking in the wrong place. Someone please help me PLEASE!!!!! I see parallels guest host and parallels NAT.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  12. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Adonis

Good morning to you and do you know what version of Parallels you are using? if you are using 1970, it will have different names.. I think only in 31XX beta versions have en2, en3...
    if you go to your system pref. and select network. set the location: to be automatic and set the show: to be network status. look for green light (specially) on the Built-in Ethernet.. and look for parallels stuffs....those should have ip address of 10.XXX.XXX.XXX.. Good luck!

JL