How to stop parallels from auto launching

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by solarservant, Feb 15, 2009.

1. solarservant

solarservant Bit poster

Howdy. So it seems that recently I have had more and more files that are automatically causing parallels to start up my XP machine. For instance, an html text file and a plist file that I downloaded. If I look real closely I can see the icon branded with safari and the parallels logo, but often I miss this, and as a result parallels launches XP and things bog down for a minute or so. Anyway to stop this? Not only for files that could open natively in OSX apps, but for all files, such as when I use spotlight and accidentally select something that runs in XP, starting it up all over again. Normally, when I manually launch parallels, I have to tell it to start the VM. Even this would be better than the VM starting up on its own an unnecessarily hogging resources.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, 10.5.6, XPSP2, Parallels 3 Build 5626.

Thanks

2. Srinivasulu.V

Srinivasulu.V Hunter

To configure start and stop actions for a virtual machine

1. If you are modifying an existing virtual machine, display the Actions tab in the Virtual Machine Properties
    dialog box.
    2. To specify a start action, in Action when physical server starts, select one of the following options:
    * Never automatically turn on the virtual machine
    * Always automatically turn on the virtual machine
    * Automatically turn on the virtual machine if it was running when physical server stopped
    3. If you want to delay starting the virtual machine after the Virtual Server service starts, specify the number
    of seconds to wait. You can delay starting up to 32,767 seconds (about 9 hours). This delay enables you to
    set he order of image files by having some images take longer to automatically start than others.
    4. To specify an action to take when the Virtual Server service stops, in Action when physical server stops,
    select one of the following options:

* Save state

* Turn off virtual machine

* Shut down guest OS
    5. Specify the Operating System that you will install on the virtual machine.

3. solarservant

solarservant Bit poster

Where is "actions tab"?

Thanks for the reply, but I must be missing what you mean by the "Actions tab in the Virtual Machine Properties
    dialog box". The only place I can find actions is in the menubar at the top of the screen in OSX, and it doesn't seem to have any of the options you mention. Am I looking the wrong place?

Again, thanks for any assistance,
    Brian

4. Bruce McDonald

Bruce McDonald Bit poster

I'm having the same problem and I can't find the tab either

I'm having the same trouble. I don't see any Action tab anywhere.

5. Bruce McDonald

I'm having the same trouble suddenly. I can't find any way to stop the application from laucnhing. It's usually when I'm on a web page that is requesting some Windows plug in, which my mac cannot handle. It's really irritating. I do not see any Action Tab Either.

6. Bruce McDonald

I can't see any "Action" tab either. This is really getting irritating. Every time I hit a web page in my Mac browser that has some Windows plug-in or something like that Parallels automaticallly launches. I can't turn it off!!

7. Bruce McDonald

Same problem

I don't see an "Action Tab" either. I'm using 4.0 version. It's really getting frustrating having the darn thing auto launch all the time. I'm using OSX 10.5.6

8. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

please use Virtual Machine from the top menubar -> Snapshot Manager

9. Bruce McDonald

Sorry for the multiple 'same' posts. When I would submit them, your system wouldn't show me the post actually happened. I got cycled back to the home page of the forum. Not a very good forum system folks.

Anyway, your Snapshot Manager advise solves nothing. I still don't see any Action tab there and have no idea what using the snap shot has to do with the program auto launching.

10. Bruce McDonald

Your forum did it again. I posted the comment and the stupid thing cycles me back to the front page of the forum rather than back to this thread. AND, I can't see the post I just submitted.

This forum is not very good.

11. STim

STim Bit poster

You should stop your VM, then go to Edit->Virtual Machine... menu item. Select "Shared Applications" group, and disable "Share Windows Applications to Mac" option. This will solve the issue.

12. Bruce McDonald

I had already done that and it hasn't stopped the problem. It just happened again. It looks like it's happening in relationship to the media player, RealPlayer and RealPlayer Downloader. When I hit a web page that has some media content, it launches your program every stinking time. I've deleted the RealPlayer downloader and we'll see if that was the problem.

13. shriek11

shriek11 Bit poster

same issue but 2 years late

I am having the same issue, where firefox was run while parallels was on and stopping sharing of windows apps on mac or vice versa doesn't help when real downloader launches and starts Parallel. I sure hope you guys have done something about it when this is NOT a free product. I am running build 7.0.14922.

It also seems to happening only with Firefox 8.0.1 on Mac. I checked Google chrome and nothing happened.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  14. shriek11

shriek11 Bit poster

I just wanted to let any one else who has this problem know that I fixed it. I deleted firefox using appcleaner, but I think what really helped is that I deleted the preferences of Parallels (if you go under Library > Preferences > Parallels), then you can move those files to recycle bin and restart system. It has helped with a network issue before and here it did as well.

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thank you or this hint.
    I am sure it can be very helpful for other users