Networking issue: Unable to reach open ports.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by thoughtfix, Feb 14, 2007.

1. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

New Mac user and new Parallels user here. I purchased the iMac Core2Duo 2.0 with 2GB RAM to replace my Windows laptop, but I still really need some of my PC apps so I picked up Parallels in the same purchase. After several attempts to use XXClone or other drive image software, I broke down and got Laplink PCMover to move my apps and such to my Windows XP Professional VM. The last remaining piece of the puzze:

Whatever I do, I cannot get into Remote Desktop on the Virtual Machine.

I have a Linksys WRT54G running DHCP but all my boxes have static IPs. My Mac (Siren) is at 192.168.99.86. My Windows VM (Ghost) is at 192.168.99.90. I am using Bridged Ethernet to my wired connection and internet connections from my VM are rock-solid and fast. However, I cannot use RDC to log into the VM.

Remote Control is enabled. Firewall is disabled entirely. I am using Build 3150. I cannot ping nor Remote Desktop into the Virtual Machine nor even browse shared folders. Simply put, no incoming network requests work.

I've tried using Shared networking. I've tried having the Mac online via wireless and the VM online via Wired and vice versa. I've tried connecting via RDC from my laptop on the same network, from my Mac locally, and from machines wholly outside my network (with the appropriate ports forwarded on my WRT54G) and all to no avail.

I am currently installing Ubuntu on yet another VM to see if I can get any pass-through ports to work.

Help?

---Dan
    http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Are you saying that you cannot ping from your Mac to the Windows VM running on the same Mac? If that is the case, since you are using static IP, I believe your default gateway setting is either missing or incorrect. The best way to troubleshoot this is to choose bridge for your VM network and reset both your Mac and the Windows VM to use DHCP and get IP from your Linksys. Now, do a two way ping and see if that works. Write down the default gateway and the DNS setting and use them when your switch back to static IP.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  3. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Thoughtfix

Good morning to you.. just couple quick question...
    1) Are you trying to RDC from your VM to other PCs outside (or inside) of your WRT54G?
    2) or Are you trying to RDC from Other PCs to your VM (outside or inside of your WRT54G)?
    3) "nor even browse shared folders" between MacOSx and WinXP VM?
    4) which port are you refering to??

Thank you and good luck...

JL

4. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

The Default Gateway has always been 192.168.99.1. That gets me on to the internet just fine, but I still cannot ping or RDC into the Windows VM. Is it possible that I'd get a different default gateway from Parallels than I would from the rest of the network?

leejci:
    Morning!
    1: I've tried both.
    2: I can still RDC into my tablet or my laptop from outside if I set my WRT54G to accept either of their IPs for RDC port forwarding.
    3: I can use the "shared folder" feature of Parallels, but I can't, for example, connect to \\Shroud\Recorded TV from the VM as I can with my laptop or tablet.
    4: It's port 3389.

Thanks for the replies, guys. We'll work it out.

5. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

If you use shared network, Parallels will do its own NAT and give you a 10.211.55.x IP and 10.211.55.1 gateway address by default (you can change that in Preferences). For this reason, it cannot be pinged from outside (but you can still ping it from the VM host - you Mac). Bridge network doesn't do its own NAT and should use your LAN setting.

But in either case, you should be able to ping your Windows VM from the VM host.

Are you using the WRT54G as your gateway? Unless you have changed it, its preset address should be 192.168.1.1

Also, please double check your Windows Firewall and make sure it is off or have ICMP enabled.

6. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Thoughtfix

Good afternoon to you...
    sorry I was not clear...

1) either of your tablet nor laptop are not able to ping nor RDC to WinVM, I assume.
    2) does your WinVM able to Ping your tablet or laptop?
    does your WinVM able to Ping yahoo.com from command line?
    3) is "\\Shroud\Recorded TV" on MAC-OSx, tablelet, laptop or some other PC?

sidssp is correct regarding Share and Bridge Network, and default gateway...
    if also possible, could you do "ipconfig /all" from you laptop or tablet and winVM as well and post it for me?

I had same issue if you were trying to access an share folders from other PC from WinVM...

7. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Thank you both for the replies. I'll clarify some things:
    1: I set the local network to 192.168.99.x on purpose, with 192.168.99.1 as the WRT54G router.
    2: There are five physical computers on the network:
    - The iMac at 192.168.99.86
    - The ultra-mobile PC tablet (DHCP assigned)
    - The laptop at 192.168.99.99
    - The Windows Media Center at (DHCP assigned) which shares out \\Shroud\Recorded TV
    - An appliance VAIO in the bedroom (DHCP assigned: usually off)

\\Shroud\Recorded TV is available from all Windows boxes except the Parallels VM even though it's correctly configured.

I cannot ping, RDC, or otherwise connect to the Windows VM from any computer on the network.
    If I set my WRT54G to pass the Remote Desktop port to the IP of the Windows VM, it does not connect from outside computers. If I set it to either the laptop, media center, or tablet, it connects just fine.

Excerpt from the laptop's ipconfig:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-8C-52-52
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.99.99
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.99.1

The Mac's ifconfig /a (done before booting the VM)

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::217:f2ff:fecf:4f70%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 192.168.99.86 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.99.255
    ether 00:17:f2:cf:4f:70
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:19:e3:0d:f0:1b
    media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:19:e3:ff:fe:6a:14:f0
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    ether 00:01:23:45:67:89
    media: autoselect status: active
    en3: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::210:32ff:fe54:7698%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
    inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    ether 00:10:32:54:76:98
    media: autoselect status: active

The Virtual Machines ipconfig /all:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ghost
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Parallels Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E8-04-C3-F6-BF
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.2.16.30

8. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear thougtfix

thank you for the posting....:)
    just quick check
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-8C-52-52

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Parallels Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E8-04-C3-F6-BF
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.2.16.30

They both have same IP address... could this be typo??
    anyway.. reason I have asked for the ipconfig information was that I had same issue as far as accessing shared folder on a PC from my WinVM... turn out in the WinVM TCP/IP property, i needed to add "DNS suffix for this connection" to mycompany.com . when you initiate \\, it looks for the PCnameofsharedfoler.mycompany.com, since it was not specified in WinVM, it did not know where it was.. easiest way to find out of your can share a folder from other PC. just do start-search-computer and type in the name of the PC that you want to access the shared folder from.. it WinVM finds, you will be able to access it , if not try different DNS suffix...

Good luck..

JL

9. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Yes it is a typo ... The Parallels is at .90. The actual report showed .12 instead of .90 because last night I moved it to .12 again and tested it to make sure there was no ARP cache in the router causing a problem. The accurate, true, and honest IP of the Parallels machine is .90

Ping tests:
    Laptop to Mac: Success
    Laptop to Router: Success
    Laptop to VM: Failure
    Router to Mac: Success
    Router to VM: Failure
    Mac to laptop: Success
    Mac to router: Success
    Mac to VM: Failure
    VM to Router: Success
    VM to Mac: Success
    VM to Laptop: Failure (probably due to Windows Firewall)

Apparently, anything going INTO the VM is blocked, even with all firewalling on the VM disabled.

10. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Thoughtfix

thought so...
    just one last thing...
    are you able to ping yahoo.com?

also, I see the en2 and en3 from you MAC which is for share and host-only network settings... how did you get your VM get an real ip from your router?

11. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Yes - all my machines can ping OUT to anywhere on the Internet just fine.
    Want some hilarity? I am using my laptop to run all the testing because I am away from my desk. I currently have a Ubuntu VMWare Virtual machine running an nmap against the Parallels VM and a VNC connection into the Mac from the laptop to monitor the VM.

The hilarious part? My laptop is on the desk right next to the other machines. I'm using RDP INTO that laptop to test from a different office.

12. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Thoughtfix

that is good one...:) I'm runing 3106 with Window XP SP2 (fully patched) VM on MBP dual 2core 2.16 with 1GB Memory here...granted I'm using share networking, and after I have put in DNS suffix for this connection" entry in the TCP/IP property, I'm able to access any and all window shared file without any further issue, and all my RDC is working correctly. (work PC, web server, data server from home via-netgear wireless router through cable modem). However, I have not try to RDC into my WinVM. I have just tried it and since I'm using shared networking, i'm not able to ping nor see the WinVm from anywhere including MacOSx....
    Have you try to use share networking and DNS suffix to see if you can get to the \Shroud\Recorded TV? I'm confident that you will be able to access it that way...
    Good luck!!

JL

13. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

The nmap just completed and reports NO open ports on that IP address. The problem is not limited to just RDC: There are simply no open ports.

I will look for nmap on the Mac and see if I can nmap it from the same machine.

14. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

More info! On the Virtual Machine, I logged in remotely TO THE LAPTOP and it connected just fine. Then, ran netstat on the laptop and it reported the VM's IP address correctly. See below:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dan>netstat

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP Banshee:1491 localhost:1490 TIME_WAIT
    TCP Banshee:1700 bp-in-f19.google.com:http TIME_WAIT
    TCP Banshee:2251 207.46.235.29:https ESTABLISHED
    TCP Banshee:2254 bp-in-f83.google.com:http ESTABLISHED
    TCP Banshee:3389 192.168.99.90:1040 ESTABLISHED

So the boxes can talk to each other and the IP address IS CORRECT. The VM is certainly on that box as that IP address (192.168.99.90) but under no circumstances can I connect to any internal port. The traffic from anywhere else on the network does not properly pass through the bridged adapter to find the machine. What could cause this?

15. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Thoughtfix,

Have you double check the Windows firewall in the Windows VM? By default, it is set to block RDC and ICMP.

16. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

thanks sidssp: I tried with the firewall wholly disabled and with the firewall on but with exceptions set for both of those ports. No go still. :(

Here's a question: Can ANYONE RDP into their Windows VM? Any users of Windows XP Pro, Media Center Edition, or Tablet PC edition have inbound Remote Desktop ability if enabled. Is it possible for someone else to try this and let me know if they got it to work?

17. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Oh regarding the en adapters: I just went into Parallels prefs and disabled DHCP on both, then rebooted the Mac.

ifconfig -a on reboot showed that the adapters were present but unconfigured. The VM still behaves the same way: It can ping anything and reach anywhere, but nothing can get into it. (ping and RDC fail on both the Mac and the laptop)

18. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Two updates:
    1: I installed a lightweight FTP daemon on my VM and was able to FTP in locally (from the VM to itself) but was unable to FTP in from the Mac or any other machine on the network.
    2: I ran through the "set up home or office network" wizard (first time I've done that in years - I always do it manually) and was able to read the share on my Media Center PC.

So it seems that all connections from the VM to anywhere on the local network and the Internet work fine, but all connections to the VM from the local network, Internet, or even host Mac do not work still.

*edit* Two more updates:
    1: From the VM, I can even see the Windows shares on the Mac by going to \\192.168.99.86\thoughtfix
    2: From the Mac, I cannot see the Windows shares on the VM but can see Windows shares from any other box on the network.

19. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Okay now THIS is weird.
    I booted a CentOS LiveCD and used all default network settings. From there, I was not only able to get online but was able to SSH into the CentOS VM! This means that bridged Ethernet DOES work and allows inbound connections.

I thought it may perhaps be DHCP, so with DHCP from Parallels disabled (as described above) and only my router's DHCP running, I disabled the Static IP on the Windows VM and rebooted. It accepted the DHCP address of 192.168.99.106 and I was able to get online, but STILL not able to get into the Windows VM with any service.

It's probably not Parallels. I'll post when I fix it.

20. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Okay here's a funny thing:
    I had it set to Windows Vista when I set it up because I intended to upgrade it to Vista, but then changed my mind when I realized how poorly it would run. I switched it to Windows XP and it wouldn't boot anymore. I reinstalled Windows (a repair operation) and then Parallels Tools were broken and I couldn't get the network adapter running. I then removed Parallels Tools, ran all updates, and reinstalled it.

Of course .NET framework 2.0 didn't work, so I had to forcibly uninstall it with Windows Install Clean-Up Utility, download it on the Mac, copy it over, and then install it. It's still broken. Still fighting it. I got it back online, but it's not accepting connections still.