Unable to mount cdrom image in Fedora 11 (after installing)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by zjohnr, Jun 11, 2009.

1. zjohnr

zjohnr Bit poster

OK, this is weird. What I first noticed was that I was unable to follow the instructions to install the Parallels tools in my Fedora 11 VM on my MacBook.

The VM was created by installing from the Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso image file, so it's not as though image files won't work at all. But when I try to follow the instructions for Installing Parallels Tools in a Linux guest OS, they don't work.

I open a terminal. I execute "su" and get confirmation that I'm now "root". I try to cd /media/cdrom and get error messages that it doesn't exist.

Not sure what to try next ...

For what it's worth, when I don't use an image file but connect instead to the physical CD-DVD on the MacBook, there is no problem. I considered burning a CD from the prl-tools-lin.iso image file and installing that way, but I'm not that desperate ... yet.

2. zjohnr

zjohnr Bit poster

got a little further, but it's still not working

I have no idea what I am doing, of course, but after playing around a bit I got the image to mount. An excerpt from the terminal session follows below. For some reason the CD image was at /dev/sr0. When I tried to mount it to /media/cdrom I got the "directory does not exist" error. So, I tried creating the directory and then mounting and that finally seemed to work.

[root@localhost /]# mount -o exec /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom
    mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: mount point /dev/cdrom is not a directory
    [root@localhost /]# mkdir /media/cdrom
    [root@localhost /]# mount -o exec /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
    mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

Of course, when I then ran the install process it failed. I won't post the entire error log unless someone asks for it. But here is the final part of it. I hope it means something to someone out there ...

Start installation of prl_tg kernel module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.o
    see include/linux/module.h for more information
    WARNING: modpost: Found 1 section mismatch(es).
    To see full details build your kernel with:
    'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586'
    Start installation of prl_fs kernel module
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c: In function ‘prlfs_parse_mount_options’:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c:65: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘uid’
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c:66: error: ‘struct task_struct’ has no member named ‘gid’
    make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Error: could not build prl_fs kernel module
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2009-06-12T00:34:17-0400: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2009-06-12T00:34:17-0400: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.

3. YannickC

YannickC Bit poster

The Linux kernel internal APIs are changing frequently. Fedora 11 ships with 2.6.29. The Parallels developer team will have to forward port their modules and submit an update for you and the rest of us, to be able to install the Parallels Tools on Fedora 11. I don't know whether or not they have plans to support Fedora 11 in the near future or not.

I haven't looked at it much yet, but it is possible that the rest of the weirdness you experience comes from assumptions on how ext3 behaves. Fedora 11 will install with the ext4 filesystem by default. Once again, this is just a guess.

4. zjohnr

zjohnr Bit poster

Well, since it's easy enough for even a clueless person such as myself to change the file system in a partition during an install, I tried that. I installed from the Fedora-11-i386-DVD.iso image and changed the partition from ext4 to ext3 while doing the install. Didn't fix this problem, of course. I now get a different error message though.

[root@Fedora11i386 /]# mount -o /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
    mount: can't find /media/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

So this time around I can't seem to even stumble upon a way to mount the Parallels Tools ISO image file. Strange.

Something I hadn't noticed before because I'm new to Fedora is that whenever I select a CD image in this install (and I think in the previous with ext4) Fedora prompts that I have inserted a Blank CD-ROM Disc. I tried running "mount" with no arguments to see if anything new showed up and didn't see anything. So I'm not sure what is happening under the covers in Fedora when Parallels tries to mount an ISO image.

As noted before though, the install ISO image works fine. It's only after the installation has completed that ISO images stop working.

I guess I should report this as a problem ... unless this has already been done. Does anyone know if Parallels already has an open problem report for this?

5. jaydesh9

jaydesh9 Junior Member

Complilation issues while installing tools

hi,
    i had similar compilation issues when i was trying to install parallels desktop tools on fedora core 11.

Hope that the parallels team patches up to make it work with core 11

Regards,
    -Jay.

6. MSverboten

MSverboten Bit poster

Fri Sep 18 20:10:04 EDT 2009
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/ApiNet.h:21,
    from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmeth.h:11,
    from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:37:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/ParallelsTypes.h:120:7: warning: "_MSC_VER" is not defined
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i586'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function ‘prl_tg_init_one’:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:765: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2

I get right to the end of the installation and get the error from the log above. Guessing that error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’ is important. Anybody have ideas?

7. cbell

cbell Bit poster

Parallels tools fails to install for me in Fedora 11

I think I'm having the same issue. I noticed that parallels tools was not functioning after running yum updates in Fedora 11. I tried to reinstall the tools and it fails.

Does anyone know if an update is in the works to resolve this?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    Found Guest Tools directory: /usr/lib/parallels-tools
    Start removal of user space modules
    head: cannot open `/usr/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.psf' for reading: No such file or directory
    sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression
    Cannot umount ""

rmdir: failed to remove `': No such file or directory
    grep: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.psf: No such file or directory
    Removal of user space applications and drivers was finished successfully
    Start removal of prl_eth kernel module
    Start removal of prl_tg kernel module
    Start removal of prl_fs kernel module
    Remove kernel modules according to /usr/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.kmods.list file
    Removal of kernel modules was finished successfully
    Remove /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    Register service to install new Guest Tools
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE/build M=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE'
    LD /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    In file included from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/ApiNet.h:21,
    from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmeth.h:11,
    from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c:37:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/ParallelsTypes.h:120:7: warning: "_MSC_VER" is not defined
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    CC /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE'
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function ‘prl_tg_init_one’:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:765: error: ‘struct proc_dir_entry’ has no member named ‘owner’
    make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE'
    make: *** [prl_tg] Error 2
    Error: could not build prl_tg kernel module
    Error: failed to install kernel modules
    2009-09-22T11:41:44-0500: execCmd: ./install --install [143]
    2009-09-22T11:41:44-0500: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.

8. trixie

trixie Junior Member

I also encountered this problem when upgrading an existing virtual machine from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 via Fedora's upgrade process (as opposed to a clean install). In my case this involved a 2.6.30 kernel that was not able to load the old 2.6.27 parallels mouse and keyboard modules associated with the Fedora 10 VM. The failure messages shown during an attempted install of Parallels Tools are compiler errors and are all easily addressed by editing the source code supplied on the Parallels Tools image. What I did was mount the Parallels Tools image and then copied its contents into a directory that I own. The three files to fix are each contained in the kmods/*.tar.gz files, so it's necessary to untar those files, edit the offending .c or .h file, and then re-tar/gz them back into the archive. One file edit was to remove the _MSC_VER from an #ifdef block in ParallelsTypes.h (line 120). The other two fixes were to remove setting of the non-existent member ``owner'' from the files super.c (line 399) and prltg.c (line 765). Once all the edits were in place and the gz files reassembled, it was simply a matter of running ./install with the --force-install option from the top level of the copied parallels tools directory.

9. ralphrmartin

ralphrmartin Member

Thanks. This got it working on my Debian system too.

10. edsyl

edsyl Bit poster

trixie, for those of us that are new to this would you be so kind to explain what the 'fixes' fix or what they actually do to get rid of the offending error messages?
    I assume that these tools have worked in previous versions of Fedora, so how do these errors creep into the distribution of the parallels tools?
    It would be much appreciated
    Regards
    Ed

11. edsyl

edsyl Bit poster

12. Kelly Bell

Kelly Bell Bit poster

this issue is NOT limited to Fedora

I am having the same exact issue in Ubuntu 9.04. I also need the specifics of whatever fixes you guys have figured out that work - or better yet, an update from Parallels so I don't have to hack the code at all.

Help out there?

Thanks,
    Kelly