move VM to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MaartenD, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MaartenD

MaartenD Bit poster

Can I move my VM to an external hard drive (with parallels 3)? My HD of my macbook pro is getting full, and as i'm not using to much my windows partition (30 gb) I would like to move it (but would like to still be able to use is from time to time). is this possible? or would you not advise it?

many thanks,

maarten

2. VBR

VBR Member

Hello,

You can move your Virtual Machine folder to the external hard drive and the use the VM from there.
    The default location of the folder is Users -> Library -> Parallels

NOTE : Please make sure that the VM is directed to boot from the location where it has been saved.

3. Maav

Maav Bit poster

further help

Hi!
    I also want to move my VM to my external drive. After I move the Parallels folder how do I direct the VM to boot from the new place?

Thanks

4. Davidj00

Davidj00 Bit poster

Problem!

I have moved the VM (From Documents) to my 16GB usb but when i opened it was EXTREMELY slow!!! I think i have not copied over something? Or do I need to change something in the settings so it can find its stuff?
    PLEASE HELP! ( P.S. before you ask... It was not the shortcut :| It is the 10GB .pvm file)